X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally ordered an 8-yard kilt

I've had my five-yard J. Higgins kilt for several years and while it's done well, it just doesn't have the elegance of an 8 yard (without even mentioning that it has no internal construction). I saw USA Kilts' ad on Facebook about the 30% off 8-yard Scottish wool kilts to help a kilt maker affected by COVID-19 and saw my opportunity.

I just placed an order for an 8-yard kilt in Armstrong Ancient 16oz. Lochcarron, pleated to sett.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 5-yard kilt from Scotweb that is great in the summer (less bulk and it's made of lightweight tartan, 11 oz.).

A couple of summers ago, I ordered my first 8-yard kilt from USA Kilts and it is fabulous, especially considering the price. It is in 13 oz. fabric, so it is heavier & warmer, but boy does it look spiffy and the quality is very good. Frankly, I would wear it all the time, but I gained an inch or two in the waist during the Covid lockdown Bake-a-thon, so it's a wee bit tight on me at the moment. The Scotweb kilt is an inch bigger in the waist and thus fits fine at the moment.

You will be very happy with your new kilt.

Andrew

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I've had my five-yard J. Higgins kilt for several years and while it's done well, it just doesn't have the elegance of an 8 yard (without even mentioning that it has no internal construction). I saw USA Kilts' ad on Facebook about the 30% off 8-yard Scottish wool kilts to help a kilt maker affected by COVID-19 and saw my opportunity.

I just placed an order for an 8-yard kilt in Armstrong Ancient 16oz. Lochcarron, pleated to sett.
    I think you'll be pleased with your purchase. Looking forward to the photos!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took advantage of the sale as well, ordered a Fraser Red Ancient.

It'll be my second 8-yard, but first in 15 years or so! Excited for it.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame that kilt-makers are affected so badly by Covid, but I suppose it's inevitable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post

Congrats! I hope you love it! Rocky and his team make not-bad kilts!

I've been moving away from 8-yard style kilts though, and tend to prefer 4-yard box-pleated or low-yardage knife-pleated kilts. I appreciate the balance more, I guess.

I hope you'll post photographs when your new kilt arrives. Congrats, again!