X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladies (& gentlemen) what do you think of this pattern)

Surfing the web and I discovered this pattern made up in tartan
    http://www.studiofaro.com/resources-...etter-download

I’m thinking of making it in The Australian Tartan.

What do you think? Stylish? Silly? A nightmare to pattern match?

I look forward to your comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion: The overall shape is nice, and it's kind of cool that they integrated an apron into the front. But once you get to the sides and back, it's a lot of pattern going in an awful lot of very different directions. It seems very busy to me. The bunching around the hips at the edges of the apron also looks a little strange, and the tartan makes a lot of strange curves around the hips as it's stretched and contorted. It's an interesting idea, to be sure. But I think if you're looking at making it, you could probably improve it quite a bit in the execution.

But that's from a gentleman (to use the term very loosely). I'm sure you'd be better served by opinions from the ladies of XMTS.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would likely be a fan. One can never be too sure, of course, but generally I like the shaping of it and I like tartan...sooooo.

I could see where trying to get each seam to line up favourably could be an issue but I am sure it would have me looking twice regardless.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question about which I have no ideas, but perhaps to consider: would fabric cut on the bias stretch and therefore sit/hang differently from that cut square? Would that create a problem at some point in its lifespan? Those with more specific knowledge than I about fabrics would need to chime in.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 20th October 20 at 06:49 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mixing cloth cut square to the weave with cloth cut on a bias can be problematic at times, due to the rather drastic differences in stretch. It can eventually result in seams which are smooth and tight on one side, but which have gotten baggy on the other side. I don't make clothing, but I was a sailmaker for 35 years and worked on hot air balloons before that so I've used a fair amount of fabric over the years. In my humble opinion, the pattern seems awfully busy with all those cuts, angles, and directional changes - and not necessarily in a good way, or one which really shows off the tartan nicely. My gut feeling is that that particular pattern would look better in a solid color (or maybe part tartan and part solid in places).

One of the things I like very much about the tartan garments which my wife makes is that the basic designs she chooses are fairly simple and they let the tartan itself be the star of the show. This folder is mostly her tartan garments and has some examples:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/grnxyo59x...CCV5WY18a?dl=0

Anyway, that's my two cents.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of upsetting at least 50% of the worlds population, I think it depends very much on the shape of the person wearing it.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    A question about which I have no ideas, but perhaps to consider: would fabric cut on the bias stretch and therefore sit/hang differently from that cut square? Would that create a problem at some point in its lifespan? Those with more specific knowledge than I about fabrics would need to chime in.
    Oh but the joy of slow sewing.... still locked down here in Melbourne
    Silk organza underlining, lots of thread tracing, basting, hand finishing!!

It’s the pattern matching that concerns me as I have limited amount of light weight Aussie tartan left.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    At the risk of upsetting at least 50% of the worlds population, I think it depends very much on the shape of the person wearing it.
    I haz the curves!!
    I believe they are now known as Covid Curves!

It’s got a ‘50’s wiggle skirt vibe BUT I don’t think I have suitable shoes
    Gosh more shopping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not opposed to the general concept, but the design execution falls short, particularly at the bottom of the rear join and how the fabric is along the 2 and 10 o'clock positions.
    The bottom of the rear join is just off, and too distracting. If you are going to be distracted by part of a skirt, it shouldn't be by an odd fabric join that looks like something is poking up from underneath.
    You could do an improved version. Let the world be distracted by what should really be distracting us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    I am not opposed to the general concept, but the design execution falls short, particularly at the bottom of the rear join and how the fabric is along the 2 and 10 o'clock positions.
    The bottom of the rear join is just off, and too distracting. If you are going to be distracted by part of a skirt, it shouldn't be by an odd fabric join that looks like something is poking up from underneath.
    You could do an improved version. Let the world be distracted by what should really be distracting us.
    Totally agree.
    That’s what I also noticed, bad fabric placement. The centre front panel placement choice also annoys me.
    But that’s the beauty of being able to make your own garments! I’ve never met a pattern I didn’t change.
    I’ve downloaded the pattern and noticed there is no nap layout or extra fabric allowance for the nap.
    I love the design lines but things can and will be improved.

I’ve got a huge stash of tartan so I’ll have a few practice attempts before deciding if I’ll cut into my precious Aussie Tartan!

Still need shoes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast