X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1828 Pattern Scottish Highland Officer’s Basket-hilted Broadsword - Reproduction

Of course, I'd love to have the real thing, but the market for these is just under $1,000 for a rough one, to past $2,000 for an antique. I think a brand new one can be had for about $1,800. Still quite dear.

I just ordered a cheap, Pakistani-made reproduction, for only $55! Yikes! I wonder what it will look like.

I was wondering, has anyone had a go at turning one of these into a good representation of a real one, perhaps with some metalwork, nickle plating, fabricating a white buckskin and red silk lining, etc.?

Any good books or websites for doing this?

Thanks,

jv

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to be a kill-joy, but a useful saying that I used to hear in my youth, too many years ago now to matter, that sprang instantly to my mind when reading your post that may usefully apply.

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I don't want to be a kill-joy, but a useful saying that I used to hear in my youth, too many years ago now to matter, that sprang instantly to my mind when reading your post that may usefully apply.

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."
    I'm sure there are others here who will find this interesting.
    Last edited by jviss; 20th October 20 at 06:50 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jviss View Post
    I'm sure there are others here who will find this interesting.
    I am absolutely sure that they will.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit unclear as to your use case here, and also ignorant of the specific patterns from specific years.

I will say that I think the CAS/Hanwie model is very well-made for the money, though I believe it's based on an earlier 18th-century model. I've heard that the Cold Steel model is also pretty good for about $100 less.

Are you asking about upgrading one of the cheapies to become serviceable? I think the problem with the cheapies is that you mostly get what you pay for in terms of swords. In that sense, your expectations matter quite a bit. If you're just going to hang it on a wall, you might be able to make it look better with some TLC. It'll most likely be a game of diminishing returns, but you may be happy with it. If you were going to actually use the sword for actually cutting anything, I'd recommend starting with the Cold Steel or CAS/Hanwei.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one back in the early 1980s, India-made, that was very nice.

Never used to cut anything! Never sharpened. Just a uniform accessory.

Here it is, a photo of me in the 80s. I would wear the sword when piping at military functions where the men in attendance wore swords.

Not having worn it 30 years I sold in recently on Ebay, it didn't go for very much. Now I know why, that new ones are very inexpensive!

Last edited by OC Richard; 21st October 20 at 06:10 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, all. I have no intention of 'fighting' with this, role playing, etc. I only wish to create a 1:1 scale model of a "regulation" highland sword. So, the most I can make it look and feel like the real thing, the happier I will be.

I've never seen one in person. I am hoping my newly-found bagpipe instructor has one, as he was in the Royal Scots. I don't think he was an officer, but he was, indeed, a piper.

The one I ordered has a brass basket. I am thinking I'll clean it up with files, etc., polish it, and nickel plate it. My son, who's a PhD Mechanical Engineer, has done some electroplating with great success.

I ordered a swatch of white buckskin for the basket lining, now I need to determine if the red is wool or silk, and source a scrap of that, along with the blue ribbon for the edge binding, etc.

For the blade there's not much I can do, save perhaps etching it with appropriate designs, logos, etc.

I'd prefer a leather-covered scabbard, but none of the inexpensive reproductions have one. I am contemplating making this modification, too.

So, a realistic model of the real thing is what I want, for display, highland dance, maybe piping some day.

Here are a couple of examples of the real thing available today (Wilkinson shut down sword making in 2005):

Crown Swords

Highland-Broadsword-3-Website.jpg

They list a price, £1400 with scabbard, which is about $1,800 USD.

Pooley Sword

Sw-l-pooley-sword-broadsword-itw3-long.jpg

I believe Pooley acquired much of Wilkinson's assets after they shut down.

Here's a very nice sword that's quite affordable, albeit several times the price of the common Indian and Pakistani repros, at $299 (on sale). I might go for this and save myself a lot of trouble:

Military Heritage Scottish Highland Regiment Officer Sword (ER II Version)

scottishbroadsword1.jpg

Cheers,

jv

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fine Ceremonial Sword

Upon further reading and consideration, I've ordered the Military Heritage Scottish Highland Regiment Officer Sword (ER II Version). According to their site, this was supplied to the Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's). They have supplied other Canadian regiments with other pattern swords as well. In another description they refer to these as "ceremonial swords."

Despite the fact that they are not true "fighting swords," (my terminology), they are of sufficient quality and utility to be used by genuine military units.

Regarding the blade:

Blade: Made of AISI 1065 High Carbon tempered Steel which matches the sealed pattern. Why not stainless steel? High Carbon steel has a tensile strength like fighting swords whereas stainless steel is brittle and tends to shatter when struck with force. Therefore if the swords, for example, are used in fencing demonstrations they are designed to withstand reasonable contact with objects. Each double-fullered blade is acid etched with Scottish Infantry pattern markings including the ER II Royal Cypher.

The images on the website show a stunningly beautiful sword. I encourage anyone interested in these to take a look, and read the description. I think the price is great, too, $299 on sale now (normally $359), plus $29 UPS shipping to the U.S. They are in Ontario. They charge U.S. customers in U.S. dollars, which saved me the ridiculous foreign exchange fees that PayPal and credit card companies charge. If you want a Leather Sword Bag and Chamois Cover they have that, too, at a very attractive price.

(I have no connection with this business, and no experience so far.)

I will probably return the Pakistani one when I receive it (seller pays return postage!).

So, in summary, this is exactly what I was looking for, and, judging by its use in the Canadian forces, the real thing, as far as I'm concerned!

I'll post a review when I receive it.

Regards,

jv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the discussion here http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.28715.html it appears that the swords sold by Military Heritage are made in India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are from Windlass, in India, I can comment briefly. I have a Claymore from Windlass. Decent work steel, but the handle become loose after a few years with only minor cutting. It sounds like this doesn't matter to OP, and I bet it will be a fine costume piece or wall hanger.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast