X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I agree with much of the advice above. I think you look very good in the pictures and the jacket and vest are becoming on you. I also agree with you that the green tie looks better.

That said, I would encourage you to explore some bolder hose colors, rather than just staying with the dark solids. You will be surprised how nice a claret (maroon) or even orange pair of socks will liven up the outfit, while still looking perfectly stylish and traditional. There are lots of interesting colors and "marled" options with different colors woven together the same way a tweed is usually composed of multiple colors.

In general, kiltwear provides opportunities for clothes that combine boldness with tradition in a way that most observers will admire and enjoy. And I'm sure you've noticed how comfortable your kilt is--which is another great advantage.

You're on the right track.

Andrew
    Thank you Andrew! There is a poster on the Kilts & Culture Facebook group who has offered similar advice about adding complementary colors rather than staying "matchy matchy," which is more comfortable.

My first sense of fashion was "wear all black and everything will match." Later, than turned to "wear all green and everything will match, but be a bit brighter."

I'll think on your hose suggestion - I was planning on looking at some charcoal hose next, but I think you're right that a darker red might go well as well. I have a Fraser Hunting Weathered kilt on the way come December or January from USA Kilts (depends on Lochcarron's production time), and I was thinking of trying some marled hose with that kilt as I expect it to be a bit more subdued.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Thanks Jock! Really appreciate your feedback. About the knot - I'm not terribly familiar with tie knots, although I know there are others. What do you recommend?
    In truth, I am not too sure what the knot that I use is called. Its just a knot that we used at school, amongst my family and others of my acquaintance use. I think, however, that the knot I use might be called the "four in hand" knot. Whatever its called its dead easy to tie and makes a smaller knot.

The Windsor knot is not popular with the older generation and past generations, in the UK, due to the late Duke of Windsor's lack of historical popularity in the 1930's/40's and later. Mud sticks! Also, as you have found out, the Windsor knot can make a bulky knot with some materials.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some options for you: https://www.theknot.com/content/how-to-tie-a-tie To me it depends on the length and angle of the shirt's collar, so you may need to have a couple of knots in your repertoire.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Here are some options for you: https://www.theknot.com/content/how-to-tie-a-tie To me it depends on the length and angle of the shirt's collar, so you may need to have a couple of knots in your repertoire.
    Looking at your handy chart Bill, it looks like the knot that I use for tying my tie, is indeed a "four in hand" knot. Thanks.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    In truth, I am not too sure what the knot that I use is called. Its just a knot that we used at school, amongst my family and others of my acquaintance use. I think, however, that the knot I use might be called the "four in hand" knot. Whatever its called its dead easy to tie and makes a smaller knot.

The Windsor knot is not popular with the older generation and past generations, in the UK, due to the late Duke of Windsor's lack of historical popularity in the 1930's/40's and later. Mud sticks! Also, as you have found out, the Windsor knot can make a bulky knot with some materials.
    The half windsor also produces a fairly small knot. I know some prefer the asymmetry of the four-in-hand though.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you gentlemen, I'll play around a bit. I like the idea of an easier-to-tie knot, and I also like the idea of doing something a bit less common (and a bit more Scottish).

Cheers!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice has been already given and I can add little to it. In fact I could have almost said that myself, word for word! But......avoid the Windsor knot.

An example of a traditional kilted Highland Scot, in Scotland . Details will differ with levels of formality and individual choices, but follow this theme in your mind and you will be not far wrong for the level attire you describe. Although the bonnet and cromach could be put aside for most occasions.

Attachment 39359

You are in your picture as am I, in my picture, wearing lounge/business suit equivalent and is perfectly acceptable attire for any event, day or evening, where you would wear a suit. It can also be worn without a waistcoat and without a tie, but with the jacket quite correctly for less smart events.
    Jock,

If not the Windsor knot, which would be acceptable? I think a single Windsor knot looks unfinished, a double looks better, but am willing to try other knots.

DS

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say Daywear over Semi-Dress as I'm not sure exactly what the later is. Okay so the advice given has been sound I thought I would post a few photos. While not a Scot by birth I was raised by two of them. Interesting hose colour was mentioned so here are a few out of the ordinary ideas for you

So Purple, Orange and Claret can all work well, I would suggest starting with Claret it works with most any tartan, I do have an old pair of hand knit marled hose but could not find a photo with them on.

14. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you McMurdo! You sure do have a great sense of style - not "matchy," but definitely all "goes."

I'll be looking at more hose options soon!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at your handy chart Bill, it looks like the knot that I use for tying my tie, is indeed a "four in hand" knot. Thanks.
    Me too. It was ' the way it was done' at school and in the military. I can just image the 'Extras' one would have got for turning up on parade wearing a Windsor Knot. It might just have lead to one being described, incorrectly in this case, as a Pratt.
    Last edited by figheadair; 24th October 20 at 05:21 AM.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast