X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Semi-Dress or Daywear?

A few weeks ago I picked up a second-hand Charcoal Arrochar Tweed Braemar jacket & waistcoat from a Scottish etsy store for an extremely reasonable price.

I reveal my age a bit here (and perhaps my class), but it's the first time I've owned anything approaching formal wear, and had to pick up a few accessories prior to showing off to you fine folks. Here in California, this is probably about as formal as I'll ever need to be. I took a few photos of the jacket combinations, as well as a few color combos with flashes, hose, and ties.

Few questions for the rabble:
    • Am I getting close to semi-dress, day wear, or not quite either?
    • Which color combination do you like the best?
    • Should ties and flashes always match?
    • Also open to any and all feedback here: am I wearing everything right?

Ties, flashes, pin, and ancient green lewis hose fresh in from USA Kilts. 8-Yard Fraser Gathering Hunting kilt from Celtic Craft Centre, worn with USA Kilts Kilt Extension Straps. Day sporran and navy blue hose from Kilt Society. Smith boots from Altra Running.

P.S. Pardon the sloppy windsor, this is the first (and second) time I've tied one.

Full album here.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 22nd October 20 at 05:31 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

To be honest, I cringe when I hear the term "semi-dress". "Ain't no such animal." What you're wearing so well is daywear, and darned nice daywear at that. Ties and flashes match? Why? Quite unnecessary and honestly, I've never heard of that.

I'll let others respond to your other questions, but I think you've got a nice outfit there.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Hi.

To be honest, I cringe when I hear the term "semi-dress". "Ain't no such animal." What you're wearing so well is daywear, and darned nice daywear at that. Ties and flashes match? Why? Quite unnecessary and honestly, I've never heard of that.

I'll let others respond to your other questions, but I think you've got a nice outfit there.
    Hey Bill,

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Please excuse my ignorance around the term "semi-dress" - I've heard some folks don't believe in it, but it seems to be pretty widely used. Perhaps another hire industry creation?

I heard Rocky from USA Kilts mention on a Kilts & Culture episode that he tries to match his tie with his flashes, which is why I tried it out here. That said, I think I prefer the green tie, and the red flashes. I think I will look for some Charcoal Lewis Hose, then I could wear the green flashes with the green tie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Hey Bill,

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Please excuse my ignorance around the term "semi-dress" - I've heard some folks don't believe in it, but it seems to be pretty widely used. Perhaps another hire industry creation?

I heard Rocky from USA Kilts mention on a Kilts & Culture episode that he tries to match his tie with his flashes, which is why I tried it out here. That said, I think I prefer the green tie, and the red flashes. I think I will look for some Charcoal Lewis Hose, then I could wear the green flashes with the green tie.
    Sort of depends on whether you want to look like a Scot wearing a kilt or an American wearing a kilt. Scots don't worry much about matching stuff. The "semi-dress" and "semi-formal" terms are more recent inventions than longer iconic terms. For that reason, what they mean is likely up to a lot of questions to which nobody really knows the answers even if they say they do. Usually it has most to do with the way they sell/hire their kilts and accessories.

I always wonder why somebody would want to look mostly Scottish, so I prefer to look at what is done in Scotland by traditionalists rather than by hire companies or other styles. You'll generally do well watching Rocky's stuff, and he has a wonderful line. My own assessment is that he sometimes 'Americanizes' his styles a bit, but not horridly so.

Hang around here for a while, read a lot before you spend a lot more money. You've got a nice kit now, so you don't need to spend a lot of money for quite a while, and when you're reading, always look at the top right corner to see where they're writing from. Scottish advice will likely be the most iconic and useful.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 23rd October 20 at 05:37 AM. Reason: typo
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite sound advice Bill, thanks very much!

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kenneth...
    I think the matching flashes to tie can work and you have done it well although this isn't necessary. A few observations as you have asked.... in the first 2 pictures your sporran strap needs a slight adjustment as it is bunching your kilt. It is ok to button the bottom button of a kilt vest. Showing less of your flashes would make it a more traditional look. I always like a belt with a kilt if a vest isn't worn, but this isn't necessary.
    If this is your first and second attempt of a 'half Windsor' you've done well. the widest part of the tie should be at the top of your kilt or belt though.
    Over all great job!
    Slainte
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice has been already given and I can add little to it. In fact I could have almost said that myself, word for word! But......avoid the Windsor knot.

An example of a traditional kilted Highland Scot, in Scotland . Details will differ with levels of formality and individual choices, but follow this theme in your mind and you will be not far wrong for the level attire you describe. Although the bonnet and cromach could be put aside for most occasions.

WGN_1530.jpg

You are in your picture as am I, in my picture, wearing lounge/business suit equivalent and is perfectly acceptable attire for any event, day or evening, where you would wear a suit. It can also be worn without a waistcoat and without a tie, but with the jacket quite correctly for less smart events.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd October 20 at 03:56 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with much of the advice above. I think you look very good in the pictures and the jacket and vest are becoming on you. I also agree with you that the green tie looks better.

That said, I would encourage you to explore some bolder hose colors, rather than just staying with the dark solids. You will be surprised how nice a claret (maroon) or even orange pair of socks will liven up the outfit, while still looking perfectly stylish and traditional. There are lots of interesting colors and "marled" options with different colors woven together the same way a tweed is usually composed of multiple colors.

In general, kiltwear provides opportunities for clothes that combine boldness with tradition in a way that most observers will admire and enjoy. And I'm sure you've noticed how comfortable your kilt is--which is another great advantage.

You're on the right track.

Andrew

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Hi Kenneth...
    I think the matching flashes to tie can work and you have done it well although this isn't necessary. A few observations as you have asked.... in the first 2 pictures your sporran strap needs a slight adjustment as it is bunching your kilt. It is ok to button the bottom button of a kilt vest. Showing less of your flashes would make it a more traditional look. I always like a belt with a kilt if a vest isn't worn, but this isn't necessary.
    If this is your first and second attempt of a 'half Windsor' you've done well. the widest part of the tie should be at the top of your kilt or belt though.
    Over all great job!
    Slainte
    Hey Liam, thanks for the feedback, that's just the kind of thing I'm looking for. I keep hearing to leave the bottom button of the waist-coast undone, but I actually do prefer it closed. Thanks for the reassurance!

I didn't notice the sporran strap until you mentioned it, but now that "bunching" is all I see. I received some feedback in another forum that the sporran was sitting too high also, so I think I'll loosen the strap up a bit.

And thanks about the tie as well - I struggled with that a bit. I'll keep practicing to get the length right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Good advice has been already given and I can add little to it. In fact I could have almost said that myself, word for word! But......avoid the Windsor knot.

An example of a traditional kilted Highland Scot, in Scotland . Details will differ with levels of formality and individual choices, but follow this theme in your mind and you will be not far wrong for the level attire you describe. Although the bonnet and cromach could be put aside for most occasions.

WGN_1530.jpg

You are in your picture as am I, in my picture, wearing lounge/business suit equivalent and is perfectly acceptable attire for any event, day or evening, where you would wear a suit. It can also be worn without a waistcoat and without a tie, but with the jacket quite correctly for less smart events.
    Thanks Jock! Really appreciate your feedback. About the knot - I'm not terribly familiar with tie knots, although I know there are others. What do you recommend?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast