X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best luck so far with online jackets and waistcoat was from a for-hire shop that was changing it's stock. the agryles they stocked were no longer being produced so they decided to sell off the old stuff. I got away with well under $200 for a black argyle and vest, shipping from the UK included. The other route is to find a suit jacket/blazer and have it converted. You'll need a good tailor for that one though, and I was lucky enough to find one. It was $87.50 to have a jacket converted and it turned out well both times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Hey Bakuda

One option might be McCalls - based in Scotland they have been in the game for 135 years and they have a few jackets on sale right now with a black argyle & waistcoat at £150 and some tweed options also from £150 (I have the pale green one).

https://www.mccalls.co.uk/products/j...s/sale-jackets

They ship internationally and whilst you would have to pay shipping (and maybe import duties) you won't have to pay VAT so the listed prices should be 20% less for international sales.
    Tomo, I just wanted to say thank you for pointing this out to me. I received a Pale Green jacket + waistcoat set from McCall's today, and am quite pleased with it. I resisted for some time because it wasn't specifically listed as "Lovat Green," and I'm a bit sentimental for the Lovat name, being a Fraser. To my relatively untrained eye, it is indeed a nice shade of Lovat Green, with a pleasant overcheck. It goes well with all but perhaps one of my kilts, and I think it'll be worn at least twice as often as my charcoal jacket from now on. The price was about $220.00 US after shipping and all - about $30 more than I paid for my second-hand "vintage" charcoal set.

One minor issue, is that this is first time I've had a brand-new jacket! The waistcoat fits like a glove, but the jacket will need to be brought in a bit at the sides. All my others jackets have been pre-tailored, I believe, having purchased them second-hand. A good problem to have, I think.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 15th April 21 at 03:04 PM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Tomo, I just wanted to say thank you for pointing this out to me. I received a Pale Green jacket + waistcoat set from McCall's today, and am quite pleased with it. I resisted for some time because it wasn't specifically listed as "Lovat Green," and I'm a bit sentimental for the Lovat name, being a Fraser. To my relatively untrained eye, it is indeed a nice shade of Lovat Green, with a pleasant overcheck. It goes well with all but perhaps one of my kilts, and I think it'll be worn at least twice as often as my charcoal jacket from now on. The price was about $220.00 US after shipping and all - about $30 more than I paid for my second-hand "vintage" charcoal set.

One minor issue, is that this is first time I've had a brand-new jacket! The waistcoat fits like a glove, but the jacket will need to be brought in a bit at the sides. All my others jackets have been pre-tailored, I believe, having purchased them second-hand. A good problem to have, I think.
    I have the same jacket. Def. a favourite of mine. For me the fit was spot on.

Grump is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have received tons of sound advice. The only thing missing is your comfort.If it is not comfortable you might not enjoy wearing it. I can only harken to long piping sessions where it feels soo good to remove the jacket ,vest, tie and roll up the sleeves and continue to play in comfort. Enjoy what ever it is you decide to wear.
    Piping Is Life!....The rest doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the collection...

I thought I would post these pics here, as what is shown seems to fall into this category...

These are some of the 'bits' I have accumulated over time - individually, as parts of auction lots, or that have been passed my way. The two raised leather-work sporrans in the foreground date from c1940s I believe, and both are un-used.

The sgian with the antler handles are my own handiwork, and each one is entirely unique as the blade blanks differ fractionally from each other, and the sheaths are built up around the finished knife. One of these I have fitted with a sterling silver in-fill with a reticulated pattern disc into the crown, which adds a bit of glitter to an otherwise functional tool.

I initially made a batch of six, antler sgian with damascuss blades, which sold fairly easily and recouped my costs, but I was wondering what sort of a regular market there might be for them.

DSCF9126a.jpgDSCF9117a.jpgDSCF9124a.jpg

The silver-plated fur-front date from 1940s-1970s in my estimation, and the older of the two (which is by Paisley's of Glasgow) has the old hinge link and the inner-plate for the cantle. This makes a good, strong and fairly rigid sporran.

I would be interested to hear comments, as nearly all items are looking for new homes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I would be interested to hear comments, as nearly all items are looking for new homes.
    Hey, nice pieces!

Have you tried the for sale section of the forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will be for sale in due course...

I want to play by the rules of the forum, and so will have to wait until I have made the required number of posts before listing all the items in the 'for sale' section.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    They will be for sale in due course...

I want to play by the rules of the forum, and so will have to wait until I have made the required number of posts before listing all the items in the 'for sale' section.
    I think you might be there as I recall the required number of posts is 10, you have some lovely pieces there.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, then...

Watch this space..!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But more seriously...

The various items that are looking for new homes, are things that have come my way over a period of time, and have formed a kind of unintentional collection. A fair portion are run-of-the-mill, but some might have more appeal - for example, I have two unused all-leather sporrans with raised panel-work of the sort seen in the catalogues OC Richard has posted in the past.

Does anyone know what is the official position in North America now, regarding the import of seal fur? A number of the sporrans have seal fur fronts, but are 'vintage' items and so may fall outside the restrictions.

Putting a value on them is also tricky, so advice and suggestions would be welcome.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast