X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how did they know

I have moved to light parachord to thread my sporrans and just ordered a couple of new spools. This was the address label on the package. Why is the USPS throwing shade on me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7231_00001a800.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	39357

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    I have moved to light parachord to thread my sporrans and just ordered a couple of new spools. This was the address label on the package. Why is the USPS throwing shade on me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7231_00001a800.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	39357
    That's nothing.

Three months ago I bought 4 yards of Bicentennial tartan from Isaac from Blair WI. USA. I live in Margaret River, Western Australia. Last week I contacted Isaac to find out where this package was as I still had not received it. He contacted the USPS and because of 'Covid' it had been returned to sender. Talk about a boomerang effect here. Isaac received the package 3 days ago and resent it. Hopefully 2nd time lucky. Any idea as to how long I should wait?
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    That's nothing.

Three months ago I bought 4 yards of Bicentennial tartan from Isaac from Blair WI. USA. I live in Margaret River, Western Australia. Last week I contacted Isaac to find out where this package was as I still had not received it. He contacted the USPS and because of 'Covid' it had been returned to sender. Talk about a boomerang effect here. Isaac received the package 3 days ago and resent it. Hopefully 2nd time lucky. Any idea as to how long I should wait?
    I sent my grandkids a package of toys and candy for halloween. One to maryland, one to idaho. Both packages, according to the tracking, arrived in the states I sent them to but then before they were out for delivery both were sent back to california. After they got back to Jurupa valley they sat for 4 days and then were, according to tracking, out for delivery to my home. They were both listed as delivered but I didn't get either. I messaged my daughters who said they deliveried to their respective homes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in interesting times!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't trusted USPS in my area for a while. Mind you, I have had some great experiences with the local USPS in the past-- I mean, once I realized after ordering something that I'd made a typo in my address, and I called my local post office, who actually found the package before it got returned to the shipper and delivered it as normal!

But. I live near/work in a large city that is the "hub" and they are a mess these days. I have to send letters for work regularly via Certified Mail/return receipt and it's a nightmare. I've had letters take weeks to be delivered within the same city. A letter that, in looking at tracking, was sent on May 1, "out for delivery" on May 15, and "delivered" on May 30-- yes, it would appear it sat at the post office for two weeks, then rode a mail truck for two weeks, before being delivered. I had a letter that tracking showed as going to another state (after a week or two of going nowhere) when the delivery address was a suburb of the city I mailed it from. Half the time we don't get the green signature card back (note: we pay extra to receive this...) and sometimes don't get returned letters back. I've had letters where they don't scan it as delivered (and since for legal reasons I need proof of delivery-- either the signed green card or tracking stating that it's delivered-- this means I have to re-send these letters. I had one I had to re-send twice because they didn't scan it as delivered *twice* {luckily, the third one arrived, because if it had happened a third time I probably would've lost it}. The letters probably got there, and the recipient probably wondered who was this idiot who keeps sending them the same letter over and over.)

I've had letters that drop off the tracking radar ("no information available") only to show up at the destination weeks later. I've had letters that have tracking history and then suddenly don't. I've had a letter returned for "no access to delivery location"-- I looked up the address on Google Maps and it was a house with a letterbox on the porch... not an apartment building with perhaps a locked door and no one home or a business that maybe wasn't open, not even a fence on the property; simply walk up the short sidewalk onto the porch and put the letter in the box. I've had a letter delivered, and then a follow-up letter to the same address come back saying "not deliverable as addressed." I've had a letter that was misaddressed but went back and forth between the main hub and a smaller one 3-4 times-- they even tried to redeliver it one of those times even though the first time they marked it as "no such address"-- before being returned to me. I regularly expect these letters to take at least two weeks to be delivered, even within the same city (mind you, this is the postal service who has in the past delivered something to me that someone had mailed from Florida to Michigan the day before...). I've had a letter come back as undeliverable that was among a bunch that our mail room had forgotten to put through the meter machine... yes, some of those letters were returned to us for postage but at least one or two went through anyway, lol.

(Oh yeah, and I have to go into the office every time I need to print/mail one of these letters, obviously, so it's a bit annoying when I drive all the way in there just to mail a stupid letter and then it was for nothing anyway because Postal screwed up.)

I had issues even pre-COVID.

(And people wondered why I didn't want to mail my ballot... not around here, I don't! It would probably show up in Pennsylvania in January...)
    Last edited by Katia; 25th October 20 at 10:31 AM.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    I regularly expect these letters to take at least two weeks to be delivered, even within the same city (mind you, this is the postal service who has in the past delivered something to me that someone had mailed from Florida to Michigan the day before...).
    Several years ago, I used to mail Christmas cards. (I've dropped out of the practice over the years for various reasons.) Back then, I found it odd that of the cards that I mailed the same day, the ones that went outside my hometown only took 2-3 days to arrive at their destinations, while the ones that had addresses within my own ZIP code took over a week!

Similarly, I have received cards from people outside my current city of residence 2-3 days before cards postmarked the same day sent by people living less than 5 miles from me (and presumably processed at the local post office branch).
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Rwxburg Id

Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Several years ago, I used to mail Christmas cards. (I've dropped out of the practice over the years for various reasons.) Back then, I found it odd that of the cards that I mailed the same day, the ones that went outside my hometown only took 2-3 days to arrive at their destinations, while the ones that had addresses within my own ZIP code took over a week!

Similarly, I have received cards from people outside my current city of residence 2-3 days before cards postmarked the same day sent by people living less than 5 miles from me (and presumably processed at the local post office branch).
    if you mail a letter to someone in the city they send it to Salt Lake City first. Then they send it back. That has been the proceedure since

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post

It used to be that I could count on something mailed within my state, at least much of it, to get there the next day... obviously not the case anymore... (I would expect something I mailed to someone local to still go to one of the hubs, though.)
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't mark them as "bonbons" lest they be mistaken for "ballots".
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.