X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason for the hunter style sporran is that I am just not much of a fur guy. I have nothing against fur, it is just not me.

So the next best thing is a hunter style. Chrome or silver or other bright metal for more formal with brass or leather for less formal. I wear Black as more formal than brown.

But, as Bill says, the days of there being firm 'rules' are gone. Even in traditional thinking the conventions are less ridged than they once were.

So I dress not by "rules" but by my learned sense of what looks good and what looks slovenly. But no one should dress like me just because I say so.

I guess I am in the "Simple is always classic" and "Dress with pride" school of dressing.

While I do own a Prince Charlie, it was given to me. I have worn it exactly three times. Only once to an event and the other two times to take the photos above.

I do own a Black Barathea Argyle but exchanged the square, shiny buttons for black buttons.

Anytime I need jacket and tie, my go-to jacket is a 3 button front, 3 button cuff, no epaulette jacket (called a kilt cut suit coat) in a dark gray Tweed. I have four different colored vest for that one jacket.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

Does give you an idea of the different words?
    Does it! That's a very thorough explanation - much appreciated.
    I think your last sentiment (regarding a charcoal jacket) will be the route for me.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Canada is somewhere in between.
    I'd say you're right. I think there are enough "old school" Scots in Ontario to let me know if I'm wearing it wrong ;)
    I'm not looking to re-invent the Sporran here - looking for tradition meets function.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to scotchegg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    The reason for the hunter style sporran is that I am just not much of a fur guy. I have nothing against fur, it is just not me.

So the next best thing is a hunter style. Chrome or silver or other bright metal for more formal with brass or leather for less formal. I wear Black as more formal than brown.

But, as Bill says, the days of there being firm 'rules' are gone. Even in traditional thinking the conventions are less ridged than they once were.

So I dress not by "rules" but by my learned sense of what looks good and what looks slovenly. But no one should dress like me just because I say so.

I guess I am in the "Simple is always classic" and "Dress with pride" school of dressing.

While I do own a Prince Charlie, it was given to me. I have worn it exactly three times. Only once to an event and the other two times to take the photos above.

I do own a Black Barathea Argyle but exchanged the square, shiny buttons for black buttons.

Anytime I need jacket and tie, my go-to jacket is a 3 button front, 3 button cuff, no epaulette jacket (called a kilt cut suit coat) in a dark gray Tweed. I have four different colored vest for that one jacket.
    Thanks Steve, I really appreciate the explanation.

I'm also not much of a fur guy, which is why I remarked on your hunting sporran - I think it looks like a great alternative that might make more sense for me. I also don't have much occasion for tuxedo-level wear, but that sporran looks very nice.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started wearing the kilt one of the first jacket and waistcoat combos I purchased was a Charcoal ex rental from William and Glen and Sons in Toronto. I was very pleased with it and the cost was great. I still have these today, but wear it less and less now.

Here it is

I used to think it was the most versatile of all the tweeds. I later found out that was not so and that all the other tweeds were just as formal and just as versatile as this one. I still think it's a good piece to have in the wardrobe but I prefer browns and greens now. My last new jacket was also purchased from William Glen and Sons on Avenue road in Toronto. I got it as I was going to a wedding and has lost enough weight that I needed something new. I was really happy to see the sale on the Lovat Green and Blue jackets that they had, as I had not got a Lovat green jacket for one reason or another. I would say the Lovat green is a great choice for any and all events where Highland Day wear is required. Here is the green jacket and waistcoat:

For a good look into several different outfits ranging from the most casual to the most formal please take a look at the 1 kilt 10 looks thread I was a part some years ago.
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

I hope all that helps.

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the linked B&S jacket is from House of Edgar. This is a HoE in 'Peat' that I purchased online from Kilts Wi' Hae in Scotland that I have been pleased with.

In the traditional sense, the fur and silver sporran is more formal than would normally be paired with the jacket and vest. The picture was taken to show the two new pieces of kit.

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kilt jackets are all in shades of brown or green. I have a warm brown herringbone tweed jacket & vest I had made in Beijing, which looks good and is great for chilly days. I have an earthy green tweed (with red, blue, and orange overchecks that are vivid up close and invisible from 10 feet away) that I had made in Hong Kong. Although an authentic Scottish tweed, the fabric is relatively light and can be worn comfortably in room temperature weather. I also have a lighter (not quite kelly) green cotton jacket made in Beijing. I picked out a lightweight shirt material for this jacket, so it can be worn in hot, humid summer weather, which is typical all over China. Where I live now, close to Hong Kong, "summer" weather lasts about 9 months of the year. In fact, it was still sweltering here until the middle of October.

So I would agree that brown and green are just as useful as charcoal and that patterns are just as acceptable as solid colors. I think you will find that green really works well with pretty much every tartan. And don't be afraid of the "loud" paterns--not only are they traditional, they usually look fantastic with your kilt. And if you're already kilted, a bright jacket won't make you any more conspicuous. So if you want a busy checked jacket, go for it.

I also have a black Prince Charlie for formal events, which are more come up a few times a year.

I intend eventually to get a much louder tweed outfit as well, but am probably well situated for my needs at the moment.

Andrew
    Last edited by kingandrew; 26th October 20 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    When I first started wearing the kilt one of the first jacket and waistcoat combos I purchased was a Charcoal ex rental from William and Glen and Sons in Toronto. I was very pleased with it and the cost was great. I still have these today, but wear it less and less now.

Here it is

I used to think it was the most versatile of all the tweeds. I later found out that was not so and that all the other tweeds were just as formal and just as versatile as this one. I still think it's a good piece to have in the wardrobe but I prefer browns and greens now. My last new jacket was also purchased from William Glen and Sons on Avenue road in Toronto. I got it as I was going to a wedding and has lost enough weight that I needed something new. I was really happy to see the sale on the Lovat Green and Blue jackets that they had, as I had not got a Lovat green jacket for one reason or another. I would say the Lovat green is a great choice for any and all events where Highland Day wear is required. Here is the green jacket and waistcoat:

For a good look into several different outfits ranging from the most casual to the most formal please take a look at the 1 kilt 10 looks thread I was a part some years ago.
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

I hope all that helps.
    It does help! You wear it all well, nicely done.
    If you decide you don't wear that charcoal enough, PM me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering if anyone has an opinion on this item;

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/363109380639?ul_noapp=true

?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchegg View Post
    Wondering if anyone has an opinion on this item;

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/363109380639?ul_noapp=true

?
    I would steer clear of that, do yourself a favour and go up Avenue Road and visit William Glen and Sons

http://www.williamglen.ca

Tell Darren that Glen sent you and ask about ex-hire jackets. You'll get what you're looking for and you will be sure it fits. I do not work for them or anything, I'm just a happy customer.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast