X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr stonk View Post
    After the purchase of my first bespoke kilt about 18 months ago I received a gift from a family member which included.... matching tartan tie, sock flashes and pocket square!

I have worn the tie and pocket square with suits and blazers but never with kilt and even then the tartan tie and square at different times. (Matching tie with pocket square is a definite
    NO!)
    If wearing tartan then only one item but that's just my personal view.
    THANK YOU!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    here in Scotland, particularly in the Highlands of Scotland conservative dressing is the preferred and most common way of thinking for kilted gentlemen during the day...
    Yes that was probably the point of the middle-aged Scot telling a teenaged newbie (me) to wear "no tartan above the waist" or to put it another way the tartan of the kilt was quite enough.

This was in 1977 and the "kilt hire" impact had yet to be felt, the Highland Dress of this gent being pretty much the same as it was in the inter-war period. His dress went a long way to forming my ideas about "traditional Highland Dress".

His dress was smart but never ostentatious. The most dressed-up he got was, when piping at very formal Evening events, a Regulation Doublet, seal Evening sporran, tartan hose, buckled brogues etc. No dirk, no plaid, no hat, no pins, etc. (He served in the Cameron Highlanders in WWII as a piper.)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes that was probably the point of the middle-aged Scot telling a teenaged newbie (me) to wear "no tartan above the waist" or to put it another way the tartan of the kilt was quite enough.

This was in 1977 and the "kilt hire" impact had yet to be felt, the Highland Dress of this gent being pretty much the same as it was in the inter-war period. His dress went a long way to forming my ideas about "traditional Highland Dress".

His dress was smart but never ostentatious. The most dressed-up he got was, when piping at very formal Evening events, a Regulation Doublet, seal Evening sporran, tartan hose, buckled brogues etc. No dirk, no plaid, no hat, no pins, etc. (He served in the Cameron Highlanders in WWII as a piper.)
    With absolutely no disrespect to the WW2 piper, or you, but again you make my point clearly. The gentleman was a piper----- an entertainer---- and therefore his attire bears little or no relevance to civilian kilt attire. There are similarities for sure, but they have little, or no relevance to civilian kilt attire as a guide.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 30th October 20 at 07:13 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gentleman was a piper----- an entertainer---- and therefore his attire bears little or no relevance to civilian kilt attire.
    But every item of his attire was absolutely normal civilian Highland Dress of his generation, and the generation before.

When he was a young man things like the Prince Charlie and Montrose were the snazzy newer styles favoured by younger men. The old standard Doublet began being regarded as somewhat staid, dull, and old-fashioned: the provenance of older gents. In that context, this piper's personal fashion choices were the opposite of ostentatious, fancy, or over-the-top, but represented the older, more conservative way.

Now that Prince Charlies have been the standard Evening jacket over the last half-century they're now regarded as staid, and anything else is ostentatious I suppose. Odd how fashion keeps re-inventing itself like that.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a youth, in the 1960's, a Montrose doublet with lave jabot, evening sporran, and tartan hose was de rigueur for dance competition. It is my understanding that this is still considered appropriate evening attire. Is that so?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jviss View Post
    When I was a youth, in the 1960's, a Montrose doublet with lave jabot, evening sporran, and tartan hose was de rigueur for dance competition. It is my understanding that this is still considered appropriate evening attire. Is that so?
    Yes. But, many----not all----- would consider it rather over the top for most formal events.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jviss View Post
    Particularly appropriate these days for a Clan Chief being personally presented to multiple royals at an over the top, once in a lifetime formal event. (That's a subtle hint.)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's still in the Scottish Official Board of Highland Dancing standard for dress.

I never cared for the Prince Charlie getup, it always looked inauthentic to me, like someone trying to wear a tuxedo with kilt. The Montrose doublet is very formal, indeed, but quite elegant.

McKellar-Kenneth-14.jpg

Kenneth McKellar

You can purchase these quite readily, which says to me there is demand. If you're feeling flush you can get one from Kinloch Anderson for only £645 (to start).

I don't think a military doublet is appropriate unless you're playing in the band, so given the choice between a Prince Charlie and Montrose, I'd go with the Montrose. I like the Sheriffmuir Jacket, too.

"Kinloch Anderson, one of the older makers of highland dress in Scotland, considers the "Coatee and Vest (often called the Prince Charlie Jacket), Argyll Jacket, Regulation Doublet, Montrose Doublet, Sheriffmuir Jacket or Kenmore jacket" suitable for "black tie" evening wear , with all except the Argyll Jacket also considered acceptable for "white tie" events. The Argyll jacket and tweed jackets are appropriate for day wear."

Some say the Montrose doublet with lace jabot may be a white tie only getup, but then, there's no accounting for taste.

By the way, I think it's quite remarkable how inexpensively one can obtain 100% wool doublets - all made in Pakistan, I guess, but still, one can obtain the basic item for under $100.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a showman Kenneth McKellar may have impressed the unknowing, however, the cringe factor that that chap's attire and show caused to those in Scotland, that know ------well, at least had some idea------ was huge!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 1st November 20 at 07:40 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a showman Kenneth McKellar may have impressed the unknowing, however, the cringe factor that that chap's attire and show caused to those in Scotland, that know ------well, at least had some idea------ was huge!
    Jock, what are you trying to say? The Montrose dublet is always wrong, is an object of ridicule, or something along these lines Who are these "in the know" folks to which you refer? You seem to know all the secret fashion rules and all, I'd really like you to inform us all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast