X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HoE Custom Weave costs

Hello!

I’m not sure if this is the appropriate forum category for this particular question, so am not opposed to its being moved if necessary!

I am again in the market for another kilt—I have a gorgeous 4-yard box pleat by Bonnie Greene in the Paisley Ancient tartan and a Glen Isla 9 yarder in House of Edgar’s County Tyrone tartan.

I am very attached by sentiment to HoE’s Tyrone tartan because it’s the tartan I was married in and all of my children have been baptized wrapped in the same cloth (my fly plaid, if curious!) But I am falling in love with the lower yard kilts and most people seem to be of the opinion that 16oz tartan is best for the 4-6 yard range. So I’d like to see if I can get the HoE Tyrone tartan custom woven in 16oz.

I tried contacting the House of Edgar directly but they wouldn’t answer me because I’m not a trader/kiltmaker. So hopefully “the rabble” may be able to answer!

Have any of you commissioned a custom weave with the House of Edgar and how cost prohibitive did it prove to be?
    Have you ever seen any of the Irish county tartans from HoE woven in a heavyweight fabric?
    Failing HoE being able to fill the order, have you ever had experience with HoE waiving their copyright so that you can have it woven by another mill?

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Many thanks,
    KiltedInMKE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't comment on the specific cost of HOE, but I will say that USA Kilts starts their custom weave & kilt at about $1,000, so I wouldn't expect to pay too much less than that.

Have you tried contacting a kilt maker/vendor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I can't comment on the specific cost of HOE, but I will say that USA Kilts starts their custom weave & kilt at about $1,000, so I wouldn't expect to pay too much less than that.

Have you tried contacting a kilt maker/vendor?
    Oh, thanks for the heads up about USA kilts! I think that is a reasonable source for estimating a general price. I have contacted a maker about general costs of a custom weave, but that would most likely be with Dalgleish. I simply wanted to sound out the reasonableness of the HoE custom weave before bringing that suggestion to the table.

I could just get two 13oz kilts for the price of that one 16oz... darn it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my 16 oz HOE 8 yard! The pleats still look perfect despite far too often not hanging it up nicely.
    USAKilts lists their custom weave 5 yd at $1000US, and $150 more for the premier 8 yd. Cost includes total of 11yds woven cloth and one kilt's assembly. 11 is apparently the minimum for reasonable pricing.
    Standard wool 5 yd is $300, and Premier 8 yd is $525.
    In the end, you will have a kilt, about another's worth of fabric, and have spent, say, a $50-70 premium per yard for your custom fabric **of course I'm sure my math is off somewhere**

Rocky, Barb or Steve would be able to actually give an articulate, correct answer, but I'd estimate your fabric alone would be $750-800, for those 11 yards.