X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy, from Texas!

Howdy!

First off, I would like to say that there is absolutely not Scottish in me. I’m Mexican-American, so, there very likely is no clan or Scottish heritage.

However, I was introduced to kilt wearing by my best friend, who was born Scottish. He is of Clan Douglas. Anyway, I went to try on his kilt one day of goofing off, and to my surprise, it felt really nice! So, after a few weeks of him urging me to get one for myself (after learning that there are tartans for anyone to wear), I decided to purchase one. Of course, trying a kilt on for half an hour is very different than using it as a piece of garment. So I began looking into kilt brands and such.

I decided to get a Sport Kilt “The Works” in their Hunting universal tartan about a week ago (though, I should’ve gotten the royal purple just because purple is my third favorite color and the only color of my favorites on the universal tartans). I just wanted to get something more casual to try out the first kilt. I was told that kilts are formal wear but increasingly are also used for casual wear. And to be honest, I’d probably wear kilts casually due to their comfort and “formal” wear for me involves leather jackets and such. Anyways, I’d like to apologize for not being Scottish yet really liking the feel of a kilt.

I’ve been wearing my Sport Kilt as oft as I can (am I supposed to go “regimental”? Was I supposed to get a whole outfit?) Oh, I also really love the use of the sporran, super handy place to hold my wallet! Although, I’m not sure how much I’d actually use it, as my casual attire generally involves biker jackets or denim jackets that have plenty of internal pocket space.

I’m thinking of getting a kilt from USA Kilts, though I am still unsure which to get as a self Christmas gift. As I said, I want to wear kilts casually, either at home or out and about with friends (whenever Corona dies down). So, I’m looking at the casual vs semi-traditional and figuring out which is best to collect a few of to wear daily or so.

Thank you for reading!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the Metroplex!
    KD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    River;
    You didn't say were in Texas you are. There are quite a few of us around here.
    Anyway welcome from just south of Waco. No worries about not being Scottish, a number of folks on this forum aren't.
    You might still be a bit Celtic though as one of the 5 Celtic nations is the Galacia region of Spain.
    If this Wuhan hysteria ever ends watch the forum for kilt nights, as we have them occasionally in several areas of Texas.
    BD
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedDixon View Post
    Welcome from the Metroplex!
    Hello! Also in the metroplex, I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Thank you! Oh, are those dancing bananas in kilts? That’s a first XD

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to River For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    River;
    You didn't say were in Texas you are. There are quite a few of us around here.
    Anyway welcome from just south of Waco. No worries about not being Scottish, a number of folks on this forum aren't.
    You might still be a bit Celtic though as one of the 5 Celtic nations is the Galacia region of Spain.
    If this Wuhan hysteria ever ends watch the forum for kilt nights, as we have them occasionally in several areas of Texas.
    BD
    Whoops, sorry! I’m in Frisco. Once COVID-19 gets a definite treatment plan, vaccine, and it’s safe for me to be in public gatherings (I deal with too many immunocompromised people to put them in danger, sorry!), then I’ll look into a kilted night! Thanks for welcoming me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast