X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me cousin Jack View Post
    I look forward to a Bond movie marathon.
    When I was a kid, in a small town, we just had one movie theatre and on Saturdays during the day they would show a triple feature that would cycle through all day.

I was something like 40 cents for all day and the place would be full of kids- sort of like 1960s Day Care.

One Saturday, probably in 1969, it was a James Bond triple feature, which I must have seen two or three times all told.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DyerStraits View Post
    The friction caused by shaking a martini instead of stirring it "bruises" the ice and "heats" it ever so slightly, causing the ice to melt a bit, which waters the mixture down a bit, making it less potent. Bond orders his martinis this way because it helps him keep his "edge".

The irony of course is that Connery himself didn't like martinis, and was mostly a beer drinker--Scotch Ale, for example...
    ... and of course ... only sissies make martinis using vodka.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As do I! But even more so a comprehensive non-Bond marathon of Sir Sean's other fine efforts-I am especially fond of "Marnie", "The Untouchables" and "The Hunt For Red October", but am frankly ashamed of not yet having seen "The Offence", "The Name Of The Rose", "The Man Who Would Be King", "Finding Forester", et al., in their entirety. He was absolutely a consummate Actor's Actor, and left an arguably underappreciated body of high-craft work that proves it. Bring It On.
    Hate to admit it, but as much as he hated it, I actually really loved The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I thought he did a great job with his role, and it illustrated his dedication to his craft that he could do as good of a job as he did for something disliked that much.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Hate to admit it, but as much as he hated it, I actually really loved The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I thought he did a great job with his role, and it illustrated his dedication to his craft that he could do as good of a job as he did for something disliked that much.
    Yes I read that Connery had a blowup with the director, who wanted to shut down a location shoot (which is incredibly expensive) because he didn't like the look of a prop rifle.

The whole thing so disgusted Connery with the Hollywood filmmaking process that he retired. He even turned down the Indiana Jones reboot. Seeing him and Ford reunited onscreen would have been great, even if the film was mediocre.

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen is odd for sure. Connery's Quatermain is terrific. There are several very interesting characters. But somehow the film as a whole just doesn't work for me, or for most people. I can't put my finger on just what the problem is.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am especially fond of "Marnie", "The Untouchables" and "The Hunt For Red October", but am frankly ashamed of not yet having seen "The Offence", "The Name Of The Rose", "The Man Who Would Be King", "Finding Forester", et al., in their entirety.
    I've still not seen Man Who Would Be King, shame on me!

Do see The Name Of The Rose, it's wonderful.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    ... and of course ... only sissies make martinis using vodka.
    I personally like martinis with either gin or vodka. Gin, like Aquavit, is simply vodka flavoured with specific botanicals. The sissies are the ones who make and consume all sorts of goofy concoctions called a "martini"--or some other name ending with "ini"--that contain anything other than gin or vodka and dry vermouth.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to DyerStraits For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As do I! But even more so a comprehensive non-Bond marathon of Sir Sean's other fine efforts-I am especially fond of "Marnie", "The Untouchables" and "The Hunt For Red October", but am frankly ashamed of not yet having seen "The Offence", "The Name Of The Rose", "The Man Who Would Be King", "Finding Forester", et al., in their entirety. He was absolutely a consummate Actor's Actor, and left an arguably underappreciated body of high-craft work that proves it. Bring It On.
    "The Man Who Would Be King" is definitely a great movie, and I love movies. But, "Finding Forester" is actually my favorite Sean Connery movie...that's right, not a Bond film.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12