X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for functioning sgian dubh with clan crest

hi im loking for a sgian dubh with a functional blade that can be customized with a clan bage and/or a jewl top like the cheeper ones. if know where i can get one let me know. thanks
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Patty Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sgian dubh

Quote Originally Posted by Patty1059 View Post
    hi im loking for a sgian dubh with a functional blade that can be customized with a clan bage and/or a jewl top like the cheeper ones. if know where i can get one let me know. thanks
    Perhaps one could be made for you if a little more info was obtained as to the sort of fineries you seek?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Officer's sgian by Gaelic Themes is pretty good. Mine with the X Marks Crest has held an edge for three years.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty1059 View Post
    You are quite correct cheeper SD's often have a "jewel top" which is often glass or, I am told, coloured plastic. But be careful, some of the very best and often expensive SD's, antiques mainly, have a real chunk of Cairngorm (smokey quartz) at the top.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 1st November 20 at 04:38 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    a sgian dubh with a functional blade that can be customized with a clan badge and/or a jewel top...
    Not sure if you mean a sgian that is already made that way, or if you mean one that can be aftermarket customised.

Art Pewter Silver back many years ago introduced a range of Clan Crest items which included a sgian, bonnet badge, cuff links, etc. I think the name of the firm was shortened at some point from Art Pewter Silver to Art Pewter.

The sgian was fairly inexpensive, it had a stainless steel blade, moulded plastic handle, plastic sheath, Celtic knotwork fittings, and imitation Cairngorm stone at top.

Evidently the sgian is still in production https://artpewter.co.uk/index.php?ro...gory&path=3_12
    Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd January 21 at 05:42 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    The Officer's sgian by Gaelic Themes is pretty good. Mine with the X Marks Crest has held an edge for three years.

Looks like a very handy thing!

I much prefer that sort of sheath over the ornate ones with metal things sticking out that catch on your hose.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

I've got one of these with my clan crest that I purchased from Rocky years ago. It's stood up to time very well, holds an edge very well, and I've even had cause to make use of the cork screw and screwdriver blades.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam