X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    Craigslist, ebay and etsy can be a good source if you are patient and careful. I got my 8 yd Maple Leaf made by Burnetts and Struth on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist ) for about half of the new price. It took a year or two but it was worth the wait. There are also FB groups for selling kilts and accessories as well as the For Sale section here. It is important to ask questions such as if the seller knows the cloth type, mill and maker
    Ooh, maybe I can find a good Sporran!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlloyd View Post
    I have both a few Semi-Traditionals and one Casual from USA Kilts in my collection. As far as versatility, I definitely recommend the Semi-Traditional. Having the complete appearance of a more traditional kilt, as others have so eloquently described, it makes it effortless to both dress up and dress down. The Casual isn't quite as versatile, at least to my eye, due to lacking the strap-and-buckle closure system (instead making use of hook-and-loop, or Velcro if you prefer) and the aesthetic it provides. I do like the convenience of how easy the Casual is to just toss on and go, and it's a very good option for more physical activities (also due to the different closure system). On the other hand, though, there have been times I've found myself thinking "gee, I wish my Isle of Skye were a Semi-Trad instead of Casual".
    Ah, the semi does sound more versatile! Does the hook and loop system really take that much more time compared to the Velcro? I personally cannot stand the sound of Velcro haha. Thank you for your input!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle answered your questions about drape and apron better than I, and also described the fabric differences better than I.

My last big piece of advice for now is to join the Kilts & Culture group on Facebook, in addition to sticking around here. Tons of helpful folks over there with a bit more of a casual focus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    Ah, the semi does sound more versatile! Does the hook and loop system really take that much more time compared to the Velcro? I personally cannot stand the sound of Velcro haha. Thank you for your input!!
    Hook and loop and Velcro are one and the same, the latter is just a genericized trademark like Coke is for cola or Kleenex for facial tissue. It's the closure system on Casuals, so - if you're not a fan - that's definitely something to consider.
    Ricky Lloyd
    Secretary • Appalachian Highlands Celts

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to rlloyd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlloyd View Post
    Hook and loop and Velcro are one and the same, the latter is just a genericized trademark like Coke is for cola or Kleenex for facial tissue. It's the closure system on Casuals, so - if you're not a fan - that's definitely something to consider.
    A hilarious song from Velcro(R) Brand about the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRi8LptvFZY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Kyle answered your questions about drape and apron better than I, and also described the fabric differences better than I.

My last big piece of advice for now is to join the Kilts & Culture group on Facebook, in addition to sticking around here. Tons of helpful folks over there with a bit more of a casual focus.
    Well, thanks for your information! Any little experience helps

I’ll look into the Kilt & Culture group, though I’ve never even have had a facebook!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12