X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Xmarks advertising information Scotweb websiten Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about single seam trews.

Ive lost quite a lot of weight recently and my kilts are now all about 4-5 oversized and hang off me like barrels hung from suspenders.
    Ive got some very nice tartan and Id like to turn it into a more traditional style of single seamed, high waisted, fish back trews.
    Waist height and back style seem to be quite manageable, but the single seam stumps me a little.
    My tartan has a repeat of approx 6, so theres a stripe at 6, 12, 18, 24 etc. In an ideal world Id be able to lay out the legs so that a prominent stripe falls on both the front and back crease. But with a tapered leg, the two creases are 6 apart at the ankle and closer to 12 at the hip. I believe Ill be limited to a stripe on the front crease, and a back stripe that runs diagonally out to the hip. I dont see how it could work out any other way.
    Am I right about this or am I off track?
    If Im right, and the back of the pants is going to show a big letter V, then I think it would be a reasonable choice to go instead with an outer seam.
    The second question is about the front closure. A lot of the Edwardian style trousers Ive looked at recently had a square flap and multiple button type fold down front. Is there any reason not to go with this style of front as opposed to a more modern zip or button fly?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot help with the construction but in terms of the seam, the 'traditional single seam' is a military practice dating from the late 19th century and was always done using double-width cloth.

In practice, this style is essentially the standard late 19th century military cut in tartan. By contrast, the oldest pair of tartan trews I have seen have a double seam, as do many modern civilian pairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the multiple buttons flap front closure: decades ago I had a pair of surplus, heavy wool navy pants, that had such a front closure. When one has an urgent need, unbuttoning all those buttons can take, seemingly, forever. I often wondered if this was the origin of the sailors nor pipe dance.
    😉
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post: