X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remembrance Day 2020

Lest we forget. . .
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 10th November 20 at 05:45 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lord God of Hosts be with us yet,
    Lest we forget; lest we forget.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the graves of the last Canadian Servicemen killed overseas and never repatriated They are lonely and forgotten, buried in a small and obscure churchyard in Southern England.

HMCS Kootenay Oct. 23, 1969 ... Lest we ever forget them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HMCS Kootenay Brookwood.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	39414
    Last edited by Ninehostages; 11th November 20 at 12:22 PM.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are ever in Edinburgh, the Scottish National War Memorial is located in the castle and displays the Rolls of Honour of Scots servicemen and women from 1914 to date.

It is one of the most poignant and moving memorials I have seen and well worth the visit.

I think it strikes the right balance between remembrance and respect, including all branches of the armed services and auxiliary corps but does so in a relatively understated way without glorifying war or empire.

I have been a few times, and always taken time for a few moments of quite contemplation - but I was last there 2 years ago whilst the remembrance service was taking place and that was certainly an experience.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    If you are ever in Edinburgh, the Scottish National War Memorial is located in the castle and displays the Rolls of Honour of Scots servicemen and women from 1914 to date.

It is one of the most poignant and moving memorials I have seen and well worth the visit.

I think it strikes the right balance between remembrance and respect, including all branches of the armed services and auxiliary corps but does so in a relatively understated way without glorifying war or empire.

I have been a few times, and always taken time for a few moments of quite contemplation - but I was last there 2 years ago whilst the remembrance service was taking place and that was certainly an experience.
    It was designed by a kinsman of mine.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    These are the graves of the last Canadian Servicemen killed overseas and never repatriated They are lonely and forgotten, buried in a small and obscure churchyard in Southern England.

HMCS Kootenay Oct. 23, 1969 ... Lest we ever forget them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HMCS Kootenay Brookwood.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	39414
    I am sure the deceased from that terrible event are remembered by their families and their shipmates. Rest assured that the Commonwealth War Graves Commission will be caring for the graves, as they do for tens of thousands of others all around the world, in an exemplary fashion. If it reassures you in any way, Brookwood Cemetery is far from small and it is far from obscure and is situated not far from London. It is well tended and is in its way rather scenic. Why not google it for assurances?

We also do not forget those who have no known grave.

Gone, but Not Forgotten.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th December 20 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added an afterthought
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: