X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankenstein doublet?

There is a strange military doubet on ebay just now:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queens-Ow...97.m4902.l9144

It is marked as Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders - Officers No1 Dress Doublet, but I strongly doubt.
    First of all, this style of green doublet with skirts was worn not officers but pipers.
    But this particular doublet has officers gauntlet cuffs with gilt braid edging, probably original brass Queen Own Cameron Highlanders buttons , but AA QoH buttons on new shoulder boards... I think SB were added a bit later. Correct QoH collar badges (originally Seaforth), and - interesting! - visible collar holes probably from old different regimental collar badges!

It has probably original label of Major A.W.J. Angus, Sept 1953, but I doubt that Queen Own Cameron Highlanders Officer wore this doublet.

What do you think about the doublet?

Moreover, same seller sells another "Queen's Own Highlanders - Officer's No1 Dress Uniform Doublet" (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queens-Ow...UAAOSwdstfsrzs), which in fact is not a doublet, but a QoH officers coatee, this time it looks absolutely correct.
    Last edited by blackwatch70; 18th November 20 at 06:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he was a pipe major?

1953 was when the D of E became commander of the regiment, according to a few seconds of googling. Disclaimer: I am not a military historian.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I was getting ready to type a really long e-mail and about crowns etc but then I looked at the pictures again and I think I picked something up. There is a photograph of the tashes at the back of the doublet and if you look really carefully at the stitching - it is terrible. Certainly not the sort of tailoring you would expect from a military tailor. Further, the tashes on the front left of the doublet look crooked. I don't think this jacket had tashes, but at some point, for whatever reason, they were added.

Perhaps it truly is a franken-doublet.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwatch70 View Post
    There is a strange military doubet on ebay...

...visible collar holes probably from old different regimental collar badges!
    I saw that. Looks like it had Seaforth Highlanders double collar badges, I don't know how else to explain those holes.

I think it's a 1953 Archer Green Coatee which has been modified.

Here can be seen the 1953-1959 Seaforth Officers' coatee, that from the waist up is a match, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDBdHL8OMQ

Over the years I've seen a number of jackets on Ebay which have had aftermarket tashes added, sometimes quite crudely.

With that Ebay listing, look closely at the photo showing the rear. You can see the crude hand stitching holding the tashes and flaps on. The tashes themselves look well-made, as if they were taken off a piper's doublet.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st November 20 at 01:12 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte