X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbenson View Post
    Thanks everyone for your quick feedback. I, too, am wondering where she's saving money to keep costs down. Her response from Ebay didn't detail the source of her wool, but others got positive definitive responses on specific kilts/tartans. I may have to give them a try...

Thanks again, everyone! JDB
    I chatted a bit more with her on eBay, and got this response:

Hi yes the kilts are made by my self in Glasgow Scotland. The cloth is from all main Mills that weave kilt fabric lochcarron, house of edgar, Marton Mills. Do you have face book? You can reach me there at tartan couture. Or alternatively if you let me know what tartan, measurements I can create a listing. If you can drop me a message on fb messenger kind regards lynne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    House Of Edgar's Muted Range of tartans is beautiful and unique. A tartan we're so used to like Black Watch looks invigorated.

The colour-shifts from "modern colours" to HoE's "muted colours" include:

Scarlet becomes lovely soft claret.
    Dark blue becomes cobalt blue/French blue.
    Dark green becomes olive green.
    Black remains unchanged.
    Richard, thank you for the poetic description. :-) I think there will be a Muted Fraser of Lovat kilt in my future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, one last comment. I reached out to Lynne via Facebook to get a quote on a made-to-measure kilt:

Hi the fraser of lovat is Marton Mills cloth it is 16oz heavy weight 8yard. A made to measure to order would be £200 in martonmills cloth in this tartan kind regards lynne
    I wasn't aware that Marton Mills made a muted line, but they do and it sure is pretty.

With another £20 in shipping we're looking at just under $300 for a 16oz 8-yard - pretty damn good. I'm thinking about it, but will probably wait until after the holidays.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talking about muted tartans is all fun and games until you see Douglas.

I have, admittedly, never seen it in person, but I'm almost afraid to.
    Ricky Lloyd
    Secretary • Appalachian Highlands Celts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Ok, one last comment. I reached out to Lynne via Facebook to get a quote on a made-to-measure kilt:

I wasn't aware that Marton Mills made a muted line, but they do and it sure is pretty.

With another £20 in shipping we're looking at just under $300 for a 16oz 8-yard - pretty damn good. I'm thinking about it, but will probably wait until after the holidays.

Thanks, KennethSime for all your work on this. I'm tempted....sorely tempted!
    Jay Dallas Benson
    Cincinnati, OH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely Jay.

I had to look into it myself after seeing that Fraser of Lovat Muted kilt on eBay. I chatted a bit more with her on FB, and she says her turnaround time can be as little as 10 days – of course, shipping may be slow to the states right now.

If the holidays weren't coming up, and if I hadn't recently purchased so many kilts, I probably would have ordered by now.

I will probably order one up from her after the holidays sometime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlloyd View Post
    Talking about muted tartans is all fun and games until you see Douglas.

I have, admittedly, never seen it in person, but I'm almost afraid to.
    I do enjoy the Douglas Weathered tartan quite a bit. Have never seen the muted or ancient versions.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Even UK-woven wool handsewn kilts vary in how well they're made.
    I know this to be very true. I have done alterations on many UK-made kilts of UK-woven fabric. Some are rather poorly done. The individual stitches on some of them could be seen from several feet away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I do enjoy the Douglas Weathered tartan quite a bit. Have never seen the muted or ancient versions.
    I have a kilt in Douglas Weathered and I can confirm it is, indeed, exceptionally nice looking!
    Ricky Lloyd
    Secretary • Appalachian Highlands Celts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last message from Lynne, for posterity. Explaining the low prices of her eBay listings.

Hi sorry I mentioned in my last message the Mills are scottish Mills lochcarron, house of edgar and Marton Mill.

The kilts I have on ebay are not the same price as the made to measure kilts. That's because they are kilt lengths which are left over from large orders ie pipe bands so Instead of accumulating odd kilt lengths I just make them up in average sizes and pop them on ebay. I have done this expecially this season as covid has meant that the wedding, highland game season didn't happen. All cloth is woven in scotland and is 100%pure new wool.. If you would like a specific tartan then I have to order cloth from weavers and the cost is considerably more. Kind regards lynne
    I think I'll order a kilt from her after the holidays.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast