X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan Couture/Ward Kilts/Lynne Ward

i had Lynne make me a Farquharson kilt about 18 months ago. She quoted me £190.00. The kilt is 8 yards, 16ox wool. The kilt seems very good to me and the only point I would make is that the kilt straps were flimsily stitched. I then had her make me a kilt in Dunnock tweed from Marton Mills and again this is fine, although she made it 1" too long and the straps were flimsily stitched, so small cost to have these attended to by a local tailor. For the price you cannot go wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caig View Post
    i had Lynne make me a Farquharson kilt about 18 months ago. She quoted me £190.00. The kilt is 8 yards, 16ox wool. The kilt seems very good to me and the only point I would make is that the kilt straps were flimsily stitched. I then had her make me a kilt in Dunnock tweed from Marton Mills and again this is fine, although she made it 1" too long and the straps were flimsily stitched, so small cost to have these attended to by a local tailor. For the price you cannot go wrong.
    Hey Caig,

That's very good feedback, thank you kindly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I finally placed my order last week. 8 yards, triple fringe, brown leather straps and matching tartan flashes. I'm quite excited for this kilt. Kilt was £200, brown leather straps £16, and shipping £24, for a grand total of £240, or just under $340.

Lynne was quite helpful during the ordering process. I'll report back when I have the kilt.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my Kilt Monday, and I finally had a chance to wear it today. It's springtime, and I'm headed to work, so that outfit was very casual.

8 Yards of Marton Mills’ 16oz Fraser of Lovat, Wilson’s of Bannockburn Colors (also known as Muted). This tartan dates from at least 1820, and is the oldest extant Fraser tartan (and I think, the only one NOT designed by the Sobieski Stuarts). To my knowledge, it's only woven by Marton Mills and House of Edgar, but Marton Mills is lot more affordable.

The kilt was lovingly handmade by Lynne Ward of Tartan Couture/Ward Kilts in Glasgow. I’m quite happy with it! The fit is great, I got brown straps (that happen to match my belt and sporran well), the price was more than reasonable, and I received the kilt within a month of ordering.

I will say there are some small things: the leather straps are sewn on a little less thoroughly than I'm used to. The kilts seems to have been made about an inch wider than necessary, so if I'm not careful I get a small bit of bunching between the edge of the inner apron and the buttonhole strap. I've pulled two threads from triple fringe on the apron (which is lovely, by the way). That's it - that's all I notice.

For $340.00, I'd say this is an absolute steal.

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt looks good. However, FYI: the two loops on the back of a traditional kilt are NOT for holding a kilt belt in place- they are to hold your sporran strap up. Using them for your kilt belt will damage your kilt, by putting stress on the stitching in the fell.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    Kilt looks good. However, FYI: the two loops on the back of a traditional kilt are NOT for holding a kilt belt in place- they are to hold your sporran strap up. Using them for your kilt belt will damage your kilt, by putting stress on the stitching in the fell.
    You know, I've been back and forth on that. I've had folks tell me it'll damage the kilt, I've had other folks tell me that's what the loops are for and they've been doing it for 10+ years with no issue. I avoided it for quite some time, but have started running my belt through the loops lately because it then prevents the belt from riding up throughout the day.

Is there another secret to keeping the belt in place throughout the day?

I really only wear the belt when I'm wearing a t-shirt, but that is about half the time I wear a kilt (more often in Summer). If I've got a sweater or a waistcoat, no belt needed.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 25th March 21 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the belt loops for the belt - if I am wearing one - which invariably I do (even when wearing a waistcoat - shock, horror).

My main kilt is over 20 years old - and has suffered no damage at all from wearing it this way.

Nice kilt by the way.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have "always" known that the loops were intended for the sporran strap, but I have nevertheless always used them for the belt, too. Technically I can see no reason why a belt going through two loops or above those two loops should make any difference - as long as your belt is not hanging loose, what it should not.

I can say, that I have not observed any damage to any of my kilts, despite I'm wearing kilts almost 24/7/365.
    Greg

Kilted for comfort, difference, look, variety and versatility

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GG View Post
    I have "always" known that the loops were intended for the sporran strap, but I have nevertheless always used them for the belt, too. Technically I can see no reason why a belt going through two loops or above those two loops should make any difference - as long as your belt is not hanging loose, what it should not.

I can say, that I have not observed any damage to any of my kilts, despite I'm wearing kilts almost 24/7/365.
    Just to further muddle the issue, I use the loops for the kilt belt and run the sporran strap immediately beneath them so they aren’t being pulled downwards by the sporran strap.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until I joined this website some 12+ years ago I had no idea that there were such things as"belt' loops on a kilt. After wearing the kilt regularly for almost eight decades I have never felt the need for these loop things.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th March 21 at 07:16 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast