X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have experience with Tartan Couture?

I noticed a series of what I assume to be reasonably 8 yrd, 16-oz wool kilts on Ebay UK recently, but the description makes no reference of the mill, or the kilt maker All are from Ebay seller 'Tartancouture'.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tartancou...p2047675.l2562

Turns out there is a brick and mortar story, 'Tartan Couture', in Glasgow billing themselves as a Traditional Kiltmaker. Does anyone have any experience with this store or ebay seller?
    Jay Dallas Benson
    Cincinnati, OH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume this is the same business.

I bought a kilt on Gumtree about a year or so ago. The seller, Lynne is based in Barhead and also informed me that she has a business called Tartan Couture and directed me to her facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Tartan-Couture-338361336656

I see from Google there is a business address for Tartan Couture in Barhead and that they also trade as Ward Kilts (which is the label in the kilt I bought).

I am very pleased with the kilt I bought - and it was a great price.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked them out on eBay, and messaged the seller. Most 8-yard kilts will be about 3x this price, so I asked where they saved their money. Some of the makers might chime in here, but most companies save money in one of the following areas:

• Materials. Imported, Pakistani wool.
    • Labor rate. Imported kilts, made in Pakistan.
    • Labor time. Not scalloping out the top of the pleats, leading to a bulky kilt which doesn't fit as well.

I'll report back with my findings. They have a Fraser of Lovat muted tartan, which I believe is usually made by House of Edgar. I'd love one at that price!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I heard back from Lynne, the owner.

Hi Kenneth thank you for your enquiry. The kilts are made in Scotland I have a Facebook page tartan couture if you would like to view it. The kilts I have on ebay are various kilt lengths I have made up they are one offs. I also do made to measure kilts to order which are more expensive. The kilts I have on ebay are 100%pure new either 16 or 13oz the listing will tell you which. They are all traditionally hand stitched. If you would like more information please don't hesitate to contact me Kind regards lynne
    I'll enquire further about made-to-measure garments. If I could get one of these guys for $200 or so I'd definitely want to try it out!
    Last edited by KennethSime; 4th February 21 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last followup, definitely impressed by their work as displayed on the Facebook profile. I'm still not sure where they're saving their money to keep costs so low, but the kilts do look to be well-made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I'm still not sure where they're saving their money to keep costs so low, but the kilts do look to be well-made.
    I can't speak to the price point or costs - but the kilt I have is great, no issues with this at all, it isn't bulky and fits well (although not made to measure) and is well made.

I did contact Lynne some time after buying it and she confirmed the cloth is from Lochcarron.

I found Lynne to be very helpful and easy to deal with.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two of Lynne's kilts and they are both very well made. She makes them herself. One is quite an open weave, but wool, so while cheaper material is awesomely warm in winter. The other is a good quality worsted weave. If you ask her to make a bespoke kilt, you won't get the best kilt on earth but for a very good price you will get a well made, hand-stitched, good looking kilt from a Scottish maker.
    To the King over the water

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your quick feedback. I, too, am wondering where she's saving money to keep costs down. Her response from Ebay didn't detail the source of her wool, but others got positive definitive responses on specific kilts/tartans. I may have to give them a try...

Thanks again, everyone! JDB
    Jay Dallas Benson
    Cincinnati, OH

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jdbenson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With kilts (and it's true of bagpipes and most things) the artifact itself will testify to its quality.

If you don't have the book The Art Of Kiltmaking, it's worth the price of the book just for the tutorial on what to look for in a quality kilt. Even UK-woven wool handsewn kilts vary in how well they're made. The book shows you all the subtle things to look for.

I think if someone has handled enough kilting cloth from the legit UK weavers it's immediately obvious when you handle Pakistani cloth. It's just different. Though, hard to clearly convey in words. Also obvious is the difference between the various weights 11oz 13oz 16oz of UK-woven kilting cloth if you've handled the fabric.

Then there's how the pleats are sewn. Traditionally handstitched on top, many modern kilts (even by some top Scottish firms) are machine-sewn on the reverse side, then each pleat is flipped over. Far more crude-looking than either of those methods are pleats that are machine-stitched on top, leaving unsightly beads of fabric on the edge of each pleat.

Then there's the cutting out of the pleats, how much fabric is in the reverse pleat, whether the left-hand edge of the front apron wants to flip up or lay flat, and whether or not there's a properly installed stabiliser.

So many things! It's no wonder than new kilt-buyers feel overwhelmed sometimes.

So wonderful here, the kilt advise forum where great kiltmakers answer all questions.

(BTW hardly any of these things can be determined from photos of a kilt, you have to handle it and examine it in person.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th November 20 at 07:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    The Fraser of Lovat Muted tartan they had is indeed a House of Edgar exclusive.
    House Of Edgar's Muted Range of tartans is beautiful and unique. A tartan we're so used to like Black Watch looks invigorated.

The colour-shifts from "modern colours" to HoE's "muted colours" include:

Scarlet becomes lovely soft claret.
    Dark blue becomes cobalt blue/French blue.
    Dark green becomes olive green.
    Black remains unchanged.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast