X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hats

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    ...a coachman's may make one think of Sir Basil Rathbone's interpretation of Sherlock Holmes... despite the fact that Conan Doyle never described Holmes as wearing either a coachman's, an Inverness, or, for that matter, a deerstalker...
    Yes Doyle just says, what, a 'cloth country hat'?

But Sidney Paget's illustration in the original 1892 edition does show Holmes wearing the deerstalker, so we can't blame Basil Rathbone's costume designer for it.

About hats, I've taken quite a shine to this Stetson Stratoliner over the last couple years. It's super for keeping the Southern California sun off my face and neck. It's a classic Fedora and sort of goes with any sort of outfit (except Highland, I suppose).

Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd May 21 at 07:39 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Thank you for resurrecting this old thread of mine. I think I've rather settled on a mid-grey Homburg. Now I just have to find one at an affordable rate. 7 3/8 if anyone wants to get rid of one!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill,

Please look into the Akubra brand of hats from Australia. This are very high quality hats like men would have worn "back in the day". They will last a lifetime and are a very high quality, hard rabbit fur.

My Fedora's are Akubra brands, and although I do own top of the line beaver fur Stetsons, I will probably never buy anything to go on my head again but Akubra. If it is windy, cold and rainy a leather jacket paired with a Fedora is better than an umbrella.

[

Here is the Akubra Homburg. You just don't get much more classic than this.

And of course Jeremy Brett often portrayed Holmes in a Homburg.

The Fedora and Homburg are basically the same hat. The basic differences between a Fedora and a Homburg is just in how the hat is shaped by the wearer. The Homburg will often have a distinctive curl to the brim with a ribbon trim all the way around the brim, is stiffer and most commonly a center crease while the Fedora is a snap brim without the ribbon edging, with a Teardrop crease with distinct pinches to the sides. So while the brim is about the same width, the Homburg appears narrower and is less commonly shapeable. And to some, the Homburg is a bit more formal thanks to Indiana Jones wearing a Fedora as a more utilitarian headgear.
    I prefer the wider brim of the Fedora that is snapped down to provide greater eye shade and rain protection.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 2nd May 21 at 12:23 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely correct on all counts, Steve. I own several fedoras, including a black Akubra, and love it. While I agree on the utility of the fedora, the Homburg being, as you say, a wee bit more formal, will, I think, suit the coachman's coat more appropriately.

I am a great fan of Jeremy Brett's Holmes and have the complete set - a wonderful gift from Liesel.

Bill+

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Father Bill,

Please look into the Akubra brand of hats from Australia. This are very high quality hats like men would have worn "back in the day". They will last a lifetime and are a very high quality, hard rabbit fur.

My Fedora's are Akubra brands, and although I do own top of the line beaver fur Stetsons, I will probably never buy anything to go on my head again but Akubra. If it is windy, cold and rainy a leather jacket paired with a Fedora is better than an umbrella.

[

Here is the Akubra Homburg. You just don't get much more classic than this.

And of course Jeremy Brett often portrayed Holmes in a Homburg.

The Fedora and Homburg are basically the same hat. The basic differences between a Fedora and a Homburg is just in how the hat is shaped by the wearer. The Homburg will often have a distinctive curl to the brim with a ribbon trim all the way around the brim, is stiffer and most commonly a center crease while the Fedora is a snap brim without the ribbon edging, with a Teardrop crease with distinct pinches to the sides. So while the brim is about the same width, the Homburg appears narrower and is less commonly shapeable. And to some, the Homburg is a bit more formal thanks to Indiana Jones wearing a Fedora as a more utilitarian headgear.
    I prefer the wider brim of the Fedora that is snapped down to provide greater eye shade and rain protection.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I am a great fan of Jeremy Brett's Holmes and have the complete set - a wonderful gift from Liesel.

Bill+
    Just re-watched the entire run as it was being shown on daytime television over here during lockdown - along with Poirot and Marple. Made the enforced time at home a little more bearable

Regards, EEM.
    "Humanity is an aspiration, not a fact of everyday life."

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Micrographia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micrographia View Post
    Just re-watched the entire run as it was being shown on daytime television over here during lockdown - along with Poirot and Marple. Made the enforced time at home a little more bearable

Regards, EEM.
    Yes indeed! I would also add to your list of boredom lifting TV programs, "Foyle's War", "Inspector Morse", "Lewis", "Endeavour" and "NCIS". Plus the Tom Selleck series where he skilfully plays a small town police Chief Jesse Stone.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know if its just me but seeing that coat makes me think of flat caps. how about you try one of those? plus you can get them in tweed to match

I agree that many might do that; it's not as formal as I might prefer. I confess that I'm not over-fond of flat caps.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 3rd May 21 at 12:24 PM.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And remember that it is LAW that while watching Jeremy Brett playing Sherlock you MUST wear your coachman's coat and your hat.

You can take them off during commercials when you go for a sandwich but MUST put them back on BEFORE the show resumes.

Failure to comply and Jeremy Brett visits you and sticks knives in your mantle, shoots the walls, and spreads 4,984 type of cigar ash on your rugs.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

14. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    And remember that it is LAW that while watching Jeremy Brett playing Sherlock you MUST wear your coachman's coat and your hat.

You can take them off during commercials when you go for a sandwich but MUST put them back on BEFORE the show resumes.

Failure to comply and Jeremy Brett visits you and sticks knives in your mantle, shoots the walls, and spreads 4,984 type of cigar ash on your rugs.
    Love it, Steve. I believe that the combination must also be worn in the streets of Edinburgh during foggy evenings.

Steve, it would appear that Akubra Homburgs may be discontinued according to their website information. I'm finding that in my various searches, many of the suppliers are out of Canada, which often means much higher prices. In your connection with various clothiers, are you aware of any good ones here in Canada?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    I dont know if its just me but seeing that coat makes me think of flat caps. how about you try one of those? plus you can get them in tweed to match

I agree that many might do that; it's not as formal as I might prefer. I confess that I'm not over-fond of flat caps.
    Oh dear me! No! No!No! Whatever next? Matching the tweed of one’s hat to your coat/rest of your attire, that just won’t do! One does not want to be mistaken for staff!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd May 21 at 11:54 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

17. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast