X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hats

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hats

So . . .

I have acquired a grey coachman's coat - like an Inverness but with sleeves under the cape. Fairly lightweight cloth , so not much for a Canadian winter, but it does go well enough with a kilt and in my own opinion, given a warm jacket underneath it, meets my need as clergy wear for interments and other outdoor events during the cool season.

Now, a coachman's may make one think of Sir Basil Rathbone's interpretation of Sherlock Holmes... despite the fact that Conan Doyle never described Holmes as wearing either a coachman's, an Inverness, or, for that matter, a 'deerstalker' type hat.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for a more contemporary hat to wear with it. Coachman's are often seen in old photos and portrayals with derbies or top hats, but that would obviously make it rather costume-like, and I want to tone that down as the coat itself leans that way, probably more than I want it to.

Suggestions? The coat is a medium-dark grey tweed by the way if that helps and I'd prefer a Scottish/ British interpretation to an American.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to work although I would prefer a fedora to the narrow brimmed trilby.

Last edited by Bruce Scott; 19th November 20 at 02:58 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    This seems to work although I would prefer a fedora to the narrow brimmed trilby.
    Thanks for including a photo - helps me to visualize.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Padre... I think a tweed fore and aft would be the ticket, but a balmoral bonnet would work as well.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too prefer the coachman's styling over the inverness. I made one out of a nice, but very expensive, herringbone tweed.

I wear mine with the same Fedora you have seen me in other photos.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Padre... I think a tweed fore and aft would be the ticket, but a balmoral bonnet would work as well.
    Clearly the Balmoral when it's worn with a kilt.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a regular wearer of a “fore and aft” and “ deerstalker”with the kilt I have no hesitation in suggesting that it would be entirely appropriate to wear either with your Inverness.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what you consider to be too much of an "American interpretation", but for a more modern hat style that doesn't look costumish with your coat, have you considered a winter Tilley hat? I have one in black (which is actually a charcoal grey). It's surprisingly comfortable, warm, and versatile for different styles of dress. It doesn't come across like a regular Tilley hat, in my opinion.

Anyway, just a thought.

https://www.tilley.com/us_en/ttw2-tec-wool-hat.html

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill, highest recommendation for a Tilley "Great Canadian Winter Hat."

'Bought one in Wisconsin about 10 years ago and have used same for wretched Chicago winters, since.

Its fold-down ear flaps, lining, brim, snug fit and "fedora-ish-lite" design, make this lid "more proper, less casual," yet quite warm. 'Never blown off, either.

Currently 2 F, here, without wind chill factor, and 'will wear confidently for our Scottie's long walk, later today.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to James Hood For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hood View Post
    Father Bill, highest recommendation for a Tilley "Great Canadian Winter Hat."

'Bought one in Wisconsin about 10 years ago and have used same for wretched Chicago winters, since.

Its fold-down ear flaps, lining, brim, snug fit and "fedora-ish-lite" design, make this lid "more proper, less casual," yet quite warm. 'Never blown off, either.

Currently 2 F, here, without wind chill factor, and 'will wear confidently for our Scottie's long walk, later today.
    Actually (have a smile) it's what I've taken to with the coat! Thanks for the enthusiastic agreement! I have one in black and two in different tweeds. I think I prefer the black one since the tweeds tend to maybe clash a wee bit.

Again, thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast