X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying Times.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying Times.

Over that last few weeks I have noticed several members names absent from posting. There are, no doubt reasons for that, that are many and various, but I fear that one of the reasons may be the trying and testing times that we are all living in.

Anyway personally, you are missed and your contributions are missed and I hope all is well with you all. I hope when life gets back on a more regular footing, whenever that may be, to see you all posting again here.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I particularly miss not knowing how Hamish is....or if he still "is."
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look in on about 20 different sites. Some forums, some social media, and some blogs. The internet seems really quiet lately. X Marks is currently at about 50% of activity from where it was back in August.

Other sites seem to be experiencing similar traffic slow-downs.

Except for those sites that deal with politics which are on fire with posts and activity like they have never seen.

So perhaps people are just pre-occupied or tired of it all.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similarly, I rotate around quite a bit. Only so many internet forums you can visit in an evening after work. Sometimes it's pocket knives, sometimes Diesel engines, lately it's been kilts.

I'm sure they'll be back around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I look in on about 20 different sites. Some forums, some social media, and some blogs. The internet seems really quiet lately. X Marks is currently at about 50% of activity from where it was back in August.

Other sites seem to be experiencing similar traffic slow-downs.

Except for those sites that deal with politics which are on fire with posts and activity like they have never seen.

So perhaps people are just pre-occupied or tired of it all.
    In my own opinion, the current "issue" has become political, as much as it anything else these days; for some right reasons, and some wrong. And because of this, many people have retreated inwards. Many places, X-Marks, included, do not allow politics to be discussed, others censor. Many people, family, friends, acquaintances and even members may have lost their livelihoods; temporarily to permanently. Some may have lost loved ones, due to . Stress and depression are no doubt higher than they have been in generations.

I wish all members, their families and friends the best, and hope that once we come through the other side of this, we can all find our way back to the normal we were accustomed to.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

8. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my part, my area of the world (the state of Wisconsin in the upper midwestern United States, just south of the Canadian border) has been a non-stop COVID-19 worst-case scenario. As a result, we've been staying indoors and away from people as much as possible. That means no kilts for me, sadly. With no kilt-wearing, I've little input here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    For my part, my area of the world (the state of Wisconsin in the upper midwestern United States, just south of the Canadian border) has been a non-stop COVID-19 worst-case scenario. As a result, we've been staying indoors and away from people as much as possible. That means no kilts for me, sadly. With no kilt-wearing, I've little input here.
    You can always wear it around the house (which I do an anderson sport) or on the odd occasion you're out. Just look at it as another protection. My toe shoes, kilt and mask seems to encourage social distancing;^)

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    You can always wear it around the house (which I do an anderson sport) or on the odd occasion you're out. Just look at it as another protection. My toe shoes, kilt and mask seems to encourage social distancing;^)
    Okay, I'll bite... why "toe shoes"? Or was it sarcasm?
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    Okay, I'll bite... why "toe shoes"? Or was it sarcasm?
    I wear vibram toe shoes every. I've worn them in desert, mountains ect. Even once in glacier national park on a trail I was told had no snow. That was wrong. Luckily there were large rocks where the snow had melted so I could go stand on them for awhile to warm up my feet. It was a highland game athlete that turned me on too them over a decade ago.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock
    Very trying times indeed.
    I’m ok in Melbourne we’ve been thorough harsh lockdown and come out the other side.

But on a purely practical note with many working from home and kids schooling online, many people may not have the download/bandwidth to spend on leisure internet time.
    My telco did provide extra download for free during stage 4 which got used up quickly.
    I agree with Steve - sometimes I just got tired of surfing the web and went and read a book.

Good luck to those in the Northern Hemisphere with the second and third waves.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast