X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    Maybe just change your thinking. The opposite of matching is not non-matching, it's complementary. And for the people whom can't tell the difference... well just think of the outing as a stroll in the Highlands amongst the sheep.

Frank
    I don't really feel the need to change my thinking, no. I like my thinking just fine. I just choose to match my outfits differently than you might.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I once wore two matching socks, but for the life of me can't remember any time I counted how many colors were in what I wore.

I guess my only "rule" to myself is I refuse to dress in TCHD or like I stepped out of some old catalog.
    I'm not a Highland Scot, not pretending to be Scottish, and not going to a Halloween ball. When meeting someone on the street it is the visual "first impression", before you open your mouth, that sets the tone. I don't want my first impression to be "Oh look, a Scot in a kilt. Where are the bagpipes?". I would prefer that they don't even notice the kilt at first glance.

I also don't dress in an outfit inspired by a military uniform. I wore a uniform for much of my adult life and don't think I need a military look to prove how macho I am in my kilt.

This is much the same "first impression" thinking I use if I dressed in pants. My goal is that I never have to wear this T-Shirt.

I can understand and agree with much of what you say Steve, but from what I have seen from some of your pictures you do sometimes do a very good job of THCD and we regular kilt wearers over here don't want to look like we make our attire choices from a catalog either. It is an understandable mistake that some of those new to kilt attire make as they have a picture to follow in their mind, still it could be worse, they could go down the Hire Company route!

Yes, your perfectly legitimate tartan choice-------Xmarksthescot tartan and the US Marine Corps tartan ------- would baffle most Scots as they are not familiar with them, but then, most Scots would probably only recognise their own tartan and perhaps a few more anyway, I think most of us over here see a tartan kilt without much conscious thought. How they are wearing it however, does often register briefly in the mind.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th November 20 at 11:54 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About rules, rules are usually customs which have been noticed, then transmitted orally or through writing.

The custom exists whether or not anyone becomes conscious of it, or whether or not anyone conscious of it puts it into verbal form and transmits it to others.

You wouldn't say "there he go" or "there they goes" whether or not you were aware of the rule concerning S at the end of certain verbs.

And longtime kilt wearers accessorise their kilt according to a host of customs whether or not they are aware that the customs exist.

Those new to kiltwearing might violate these customs just as people new to English might say "there he go". To help newbies we verbalise customs, and customs once spoken are often taken to be rules.

Imagine somebody that knew nothing about Highland Dress brought you this photo saying "I want to put together a kilt outfit for my wedding, I found this nice photo of Scottish outfits, I wonder if you could explain everything to me."

Suddenly you would be in the position of trying to take note of, and verbalise, a large number of customs, some of which you might not previously have been consciously aware of.

Last edited by OC Richard; 5th December 20 at 05:57 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    About rules, rules are usually customs which have been noticed, then transmitted orally or through writing.

The custom exists whether or not anyone becomes conscious of it, or whether or not anyone conscious of it puts it into verbal form and transmits it to others.

You wouldn't say "there he go" or "there they goes" whether or not you were aware of the rule concerning S at the end of certain verbs.

And longtime kilt wearers accessorise their kilt according to a host of customs whether or not they are aware that the customs exist.

Those new to kiltwearing might violate these customs just as people new to English might say "there he go". To help newbies we verbalise customs, and customs once spoken are often taken to be rules.

Imagine somebody that knew nothing about Highland Dress brought you this photo saying "I want to put together a kilt outfit for my wedding, I found this nice photo of Scottish outfits, I wonder if you could explain everything to me."

Suddenly you would be in the position of trying to take note of, and verbalise, a large number of customs, some of which you might not previously have been consciously aware of.

A very well worded and nicely put post there OCR and very much describes my problem when giving------asked for---usually-----advice, to newcomers and sometimes those not so new to kilt attire who are wanting to follow the more traditional side of kilt attire on this website. It is sadly a problem of tactful delivery of the message that I feel I have not altogether solved, even now.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th December 20 at 07:59 AM. Reason: found my glasses.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear! Even I can recognise that all is not right. I take it that this was not some sort of pantomime act?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    It is sadly a problem of tactful delivery of the message that I feel I have not altogether solved, even now.

Thank you.
    No, dear friend; 'tact' is not your strongest suit. You're far better off in the realm of 'norms' and normality. Nonetheless, sometimes your lack of tact is . . . how does one say? "Endearing?"
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    No, dear friend; 'tact' is not your strongest suit. You're far better off in the realm of 'norms' and normality. Nonetheless, sometimes your lack of tact is . . . how does one say? "Endearing?"
    Well, I suppose I set myself up good and proper for that reply Bill!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well, I suppose I set myself up good and proper for that reply Bill!
    Always glad to help!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12