X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    It depends on the yarn used but most weaving yarns are not stretchy. I've never found it to be a problem, I tie mine to comfort level and they are fine all day long.
    I agree, I made some myself years ago plus a wrap belt, western hat-band and a sling for a blowgun. none were stretchy a little give maybe but they all stayed put when I wore them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of tartan flashes that came with my first kilt. I rarely wear them now, although they are pressed into service when wearing really thin hose (such as the cotton ones from Sockdreams).

I usually wear the garter ties, such as those from House of Cheviot. They hold the socks up, look great, and their movement adds another element of interest and style. I have a green pair with some red in the fringe and a pair that is all bright tartan red. Both work well with all my hose.

And yes, at times I skip garters and flashes altogether and wear the socks without. I've never had a problem keeping socks up and no one has ever commented on the missing flashes. Of course, no one in china notices I'm not wearing a sgian dubh, either (I've never wanted to try to get one through airport security). Being kilted is such a novelty here, that few note the details or have any idea about which small traditions they expect me to be following. Most are mildly surprised that I am not a piper en route to a performance.

Andrew

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123