X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nearly 2 years in the making: custom project is done!

Some of you may recall that about two years ago I was gearing up to start a custom tartan and kilt project. I wanted a military box-pleated kilt, built in a similar fashion to a standard military kilt (rolled pleats, pleated to stripe, double-prong buckles, no fringe, high-rise, woollen tape top band, etc.). But I wanted it done in my clan tartan of Colquhoun in a sett size and colour scheme that was more appropriate than what the mills offer in their standard cloth. I really wanted heavy 18oz "hard tartan", but that just isn't an option these days.

So, long story short, it meant doing a custom tartan weave. I ended up using Andrew Elliot Ltd. to do the weaving. It was to be a large-sett (302 threads/ends per sett for a 7.5" finished sett size) in Wilson's colours, 16oz double-width cloth and a double herringbone selvedge. I wanted minimal finishing on the cloth to keep it coarse and minimise shrinkage. Basically, just scoured to remove oils but no pressing or other finishing treatments. It was a 9-month process of figuring out the thread count to scale up the Colquhoun tartan and adjust it to my liking (such as a slightly wider red stripe to enhance pleating aesthetics), figure out thread colour options, get the project into their queue, have threads custom dyed, and get the tartan woven. I ended up with 10.6 metres of tartan, or 11.6 yards, almost 35 feet.

Then the material was sent off to Paul Henry kiltmaker, where we went through design options for the kilt. The pandemic caused some delays and such, but we finally managed to get the kilt done and shipped to me. I received it last week, and it is gorgeous!

The Wilson's colour scheme is visually about halfway between dark "modern" colours and "ancient" colours. The blue is deeper and the green is more olive. In my opinion, this colour scheme really makes the tartan colours more vivid without being overly dark like modern colours tend to be. The widening of the red stripe in the custom weave really helped it stand out more than it does in the standard Colquhoun sett. And by pleating to the red stripe, it gave it more of a military kilt look.

These are photos of the kilt the day I received it, before even removing the basting stitches. At some point I'll get some photos of me wearing it, but I'm going to need to shed a few pandemic lockdown pounds for that, LOL. I also need to cut and fringe a day plaid; I'll go with plaited fringe on that one. And I need to send off some tartan for a custom waistcoat too.

That selvedge!

As for sett size, here it is (shown at left) next to my other Colquhoun kilts. I love the variety here, with sett size going from large to medium to small, and colours ranging from darker/Wilson's to reproduction to ancient. See how much better that red stripe stands out?

It's still not quite as large a sett as has been worn by Colquhoun clan chiefs over the years, but I think it will suit me. Sir Iain Colquhoun and Sir Malcolm Colquhoun in their kilts are below for reference (these appear to be in the darker modern colours).

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's beautiful, Tobus! All your work is well worth it. I like the larger sett size and more prominent red stripe. Now, because Paul Henry made it, we must see the lining inside!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it!

Beautiful outcome to a lengthy process! I really like the enlarged sett size and the rich colors. First rate production all around.

Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Now, because Paul Henry made it, we must see the lining inside!
    I know he likes to use interesting patterns for the lining, but I specifically requested a simple khaki lining on this one. Sorry to disappoint!

Military kilts over the last century have been made a lot of different ways, but in general they seem to have had a simple white or off-white liner with a top band on the kilt that is a single colour twill tape or similar. I had seen a photo of a WWI kilt with a khaki top band and liner (Gordon, I think it was), and decided to emulate that.

*edited to add: one reason I opted for a top band that's a different colour than anything in the kilt itself, aside from it being a military tradition, is that it helps provide a nice visual separation between the kilt and shirt when not wearing a belt. My intention is to never, or rarely, wear a belt with this kilt since it's a high-rise military style kilt.

My photo editor's auto-level is probably making these photos a little darker than they are in real life, but you can see the top band and lining here.

Last edited by Tobus; 2nd December 20 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Tobie; that pleat to the red stripe is striking. It looks like a totally different tartan than the apron.
    Hopefully this 'panic'-demic ends soon so we can see you in it.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to bdkilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks fabulous; what a wonderful project!

Shane

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice. The fabric has a great visual texture.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a truly wonderful kilt and you must be so happy after the long process. It looks like you got exactly what you wanted. Also gives some incentive to shed the Covid pounds. Well done all around.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's as "bespoke" as it gets!

Well done!
    Tulach Ard

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad its all come together for you. Here's to many years of happy kilting with it.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast