X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you wear a sporran while in the house?

So we were talking about this the other night - do you wear a sporran while in the house? My view was that a woman doesnt carry a purse around with her in the house, so why wear a sporran while in the house? When in the house I dont have a need for my car keys, wallet, or phone. Is it bad form to not wear one in the house?

I have a feeling I know what the kilt police will say but their opinion really doesnt matter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Partly, that depends on the sporran. Some of the really big, showy ones pretty well have to come off, but then there are some tidy wee ones that might not occur to me to remove at least until later.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not the best source

but for the last year I've worn a kilt at home. My keys, wallet, cell phone and pocket knife are in my sporran which is at my work station (my sofa) When I go out I belt it on but see no reason to wear it in the house.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't wear a sporran in the house. I don't even wear the kilt if I'm just puttering about the house. There are other more practical and comfortable things to wear which don't require such attention when sitting, reclining on a sofa, feeding and petting the dogs, cooking, etc. This may offend the sensibilities of those who argue that the kilt is a do-all garment, or that it's the most comfortable thing to wear all the time, no matter the circumstance. But I don't find it to be so. My good kilts are for getting dressed and going out in public; I'm not going to wear a $500-$1000 article of clothing around the house.

I do have a cheap synthetic knock-about kilt that I've tried wearing at home (without a sporran when I did), but I inevitably end up taking it off and putting something else on. Keeping pleats in order and maintaining modesty are not what I want to fuss with when I'm relaxing or doing chores.

That said, even when I'm wearing shorts or trousers around the house, I don't stuff my pockets full of things. That's uncomfortable too. So even if I were wearing a kilt around the house, I don't think I would have any need to carry my goods around with me in a sporran.

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not always, but I do if we are expecting visitors, or have visitors, as a matter of course. It shows respect.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a day sporran around the house, if for no other reason than to hold my big ol' keyboard smartphone. But I'll usually take it off and set it off to the side if I'm sitting on the couch watching a movie or something.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I do...sort of

Since my sporran replaces the pockets in my pants, it holds my EDC for me when kilted. That includes my wallet, a handkerchief, a pocket knife if not worn in my hose, and my smartphone.

Here is where the ...sort of comes into play. I may wear the sporran during the day indoors, but often I will take it off when seated, or shift it around to my hip. Either way, I still have it with me so that I have access to my EDC stuff.

Hope this gives some insight,

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I take it off and hang it up almost immediately. Otherwise my laptop sits atop the sporran, which doesn't seem quite right.

I do try to avoid wearing the kilt if I know I'm going to be sitting around the house all day; the pleats don't take kindly to loafing around, as I am wont to do. If I must wear a kilt, I wear my sport kilt, whose pleats look pretty bad most of the time anyway. The elastic comfort waist is nice for lounging as well. :-)

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do, but I also wear mine on a strap so I can slide it to my hip instead of in front when I'm seated. I am usually (in post-Covid times) going from my office, to my back yard to tend to my vegetable garden and maybe smoke a pipe, then back to my office to continue work. I need a place to store my pipe tamper and lighter and it's not cold enough in Florida to wear a vest or jacket indoors (typically).
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I do wear a kilt around the house, it's because I'll be on a video call for work or for lodge and in that case I do wear an occasion-appropriate sporran because I dress for video calls the same as I would for in-person activity. In general, I don't wear a kilt around the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast