X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, when I got married we had a piper, highland dancers and a djembe player.

Steve, you may well be right. It was some war movie which I haven't seen. I was playing it at work and one of my coworkers said somrehing to the effect of ' Hey , that's the song from..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a few years my office was on Princes Street in Edinburgh and had to listen to their noise for much of the day, every day, for a month every Edinburgh festival. They seemed to rotate with some pan pipes guys from South America and as a result I am now a fan of neither!
    To the King over the water

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    Tu-Bardh Stormcrow Wilson ( centerman with the beard) is the leader. I think all other members come and go.

IIRC Tu-Bardh was a member of Clann an Drumma (Sgt Mackenzie from the film Band of Brothers). Jacqui Holland also played with Clann an Drumma and now plays with Albannach.

Both of the above bands are worth checking out if you are (currently !!!) into tribal drums, I saw Albannach at the Fergus Highland Games a few years ago. I had seen and heard their recordings, but their live shows...man, absolutely fantastic.

Saor Patrol are along the same vein. Their leader has headed up an organization that is building a Medieval fortress that holds educational events. He and his team are also 'swords for hire' for tv and film productions, if memory serves.
    I second Albannach! My college celtic/punk band opened for them when they put on a free show over a decade ago back in Middle TN. Watching them perform was just outstanding. Then we saw them a day or two later at the Highland Games where they played yet again and in their off time they spoke with us and just generally interacted with everyone in a very pleasant way. A few years later, one of my former band mates saw them in his home state and they asked how we were all fairing. They seem like genuine people.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to dcommini For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AbernethyCameron View Post
    For a few years my office was on Princes Street in Edinburgh and had to listen to their noise for much of the day, every day, for a month every Edinburgh festival. They seemed to rotate with some pan pipes guys from South America and as a result I am now a fan of neither!
    Yes all day every day would get on anyone's nerves.

However I am a huge fan of Andean music, probably what you are referencing there, from Bolivia and Peru.

Like anything else, with Andean music there's the genuine indigenous stuff, and the schmaltz that's been repackaged for the "general public". The real music, played in the villages of the altiplano, is wonderful, primitive, and alien.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I believe that "Sgt. MacKenzie" was used in "We Were Soldiers" and not "Band of Brothers"
    I'm sure you're correct. The only music Band Of Brothers had was the overwrought heroic orchestral themes, which did get old after ten or so hours.

(The show itself was great. My father-in-law, who had been an Infantry Officer in WWII, said it was the most authentic thing he had seen.)

Further offtopic, the phrase "band of brothers" was coined by- you guessed it- Shakespeare, and was quoted by George Washington in his farewell address to the Continental Army.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th December 20 at 05:30 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Further offtopic, the phrase "band of brothers" was coined by- you guessed it- Shakespeare. . . .
    Henry V? I'm trying to remember now that you mention it. I think it was his speech before battle.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12