X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also occurred to me that a military-style flight jacket works well with the kilt. Some retailers use the term flight jacket and bomber jacket synonymously, but they are different. I have my late father's USAF flight jacket from the Vietnam era, and it suits my torso length well. But I won't wear it in public because it has military insignia on it (including his rank on the shoulders). I've often thought about removing the military emblems, but I somehow feel like that's an affront to his memory.

Anyway, you can find both military surplus and new flight jackets online easily enough. Search for MA-1 flight jackets. These are the same jackets worn by NASA astronauts, albeit usually in black instead of olive. The ribbed collar and cuffs are like a varsity jacket, but they usually have snap-closure slash pockets at the sides, extra internal insulation, a pocket on the arm (that's handy for cigarettes), and an orange liner so it can be reversed if one needs to be rescued after being shot down. I trust none of us will need that last feature. I can attest to the warmth of these jackets.

Here's a typical MA-1:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Enhanced-Ny...t/163773700914

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has been very helpful. I currently own a lighter flight and a heavy bomber style jacket, that I thought would be appropriate with a kilt. The flight jacket, which is a Members Only, will need to be replaced with a similar one, since it is very old and beat up. It is currently relegated solely to yard work. I had not considered the classic golf jacket, but that really makes sense. Maybe with a matching flat cap.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234