X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laurel & Hardy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall reading somewhere, and it may have been an article linked from this board, that Sir Harry Lauder gave one of his kilts to Stan Laurel. I wonder if it was the one he wore in Putting Pants on Phillip.

The above could also be just a baseless rumor I started. We may never know as I'm too lazy to research it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    I'm sure that any one who has ever marched can relate to that clip.
    Yes indeed!

What I wonder is, why is the formation of soldiers marching so well?

We've all seen scenes in Hollywood films which have rounded up a bunch of Extras, stuck them in uniforms, and told them to march. Shambolic! Having a body of people marching well can't be faked nor can it be taught in a few minutes.

In the latest series of The Crown there's a laughable scene where they cut back and forth between actual footage of Guards at Buckingham Palace, and Extras dressed as such. The marching and deportment are night and day; the Extras couldn't keep in step to save their souls.

For that Laurel & Hardy scene they must have 1) hired an existing well trained group or 2) spent sufficient training time with Extras.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th December 20 at 07:18 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S.Muldoon View Post
    I recall reading somewhere, and it may have been an article linked from this board, that Sir Harry Lauder gave one of his kilts to Stan Laurel.
    Based on the photos I've seen of the two men, Lauder's kilt would have been far too big for Laurel to wear.

He never was slender and he would have been 57 years old in 1927.

As a younger man.

As a mature man.

Last edited by OC Richard; 20th December 20 at 07:40 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh... As I said, baseless rumor I started!

But not made up from whole cloth as it turns out, I might have just been partially remembering this:

"But Scotland’s leading Laurel and Hardy aficionado Ross Owen, who acted as a consultant on their big-screen return, explained why it made perfect sense.

He said: “The kilt Stan wears in that famous photo at the Empire – and which he also wore in earlier film Bonnie Scotland – was given to him by Harry Lauder.

“Stan used to stay with Harry when he came over here.""
    https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/laurel...-comedy-icons/

So it was probably a kilt gifted to Stan from Sir Harry.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to S.S.Muldoon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

[QUOTE=OC Richard;1389325]About that I don't know. All I know is what is says in the book, which is

A Collection Of Pipe Music Of The Black Watch

which was written and published by the regiment.

The notes to The Campbells Are Coming say

"A traditional tune, this became a popular melody in the Regiment but, along with other Jacobite tunes such as Cock Of The North, Bonnie Dundee, and March Of The Cameron Men, the Black Watch pipes & drums were not permitted to play it until some time after the end of the Second World War. "

This note is strange to see, especially in a book produced by the BW museum and compiled by a former Colonel of the Regiment. Not only were the Campbells very much allied to the Hanoverian cause but of the original six Independent Companies of the Highland Watch - am freiceadan dubh- , three were formed and commanded by Campbell officers, with the name Campbell continuing to feature prominently down the years. As many will know, one theory is that the Government tartan was based on the Campbell sett.

According to former Pipe Major of 1BW Alastair Duthie, as far back as the 1850s (earlier records have been lost) 'The Campbells are coming' featured in the regiment's list of field calls signifiying 'Prepare to Charge' ('Hielan' Laddie' in Strathspey or Double time gave the order to charge).

Perhaps there was a distinction between duty calls played by regimental pipers and tunes played by the pipes and drums of the Black Watch playing in retreats and tattoos.

As for Jacobite tunes, strange as it may seem the regimental pipe tune for reveille was 'Hey Johhnie Cope' (are ye waukin yet?) and indeed my father as adjutant in Germany was rebuked one morning for letting the piper play that 'ranting rebel tune.' This was probably at the end of the notorious Crimean or Long Reveille played on the 15th of each month. Hangovers were common and fierce in post-war Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWzxGF9V-ew
    Last edited by jf42; 24th December 20 at 04:44 AM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jf42 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that struck me as odd too, as we know the Black Watch and the Campbells were inextricably mixed from the beginning.

One book I have says there were so many officers named Campbell that sorting the regiment's mail must have been challenging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Officers roll, 42nd RH, Egypt 1801

By way of illustration, the third Lieutenant Colonel of Murray's 'Highland Regiment' 1749-55 (in the aftermath of the '45, a delicate time) was John Campbell.

In addition, a roll of the officers of the 42nd RH at the time of the Egypt campaign of 1801 indicates how complicated sorting the regimental mail might have been, particularly among the subalterns.
    Last edited by jf42; 26th December 20 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was meant to be an image of the roll attached. Can anyone see it? I can't.
    Last edited by jf42; 26th December 20 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
    There was meant to be an image of the roll attached. Can anyone see it? I can't.
    No, nothing here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current Attachments (110.1 KB)

jpg.gif Offrs 42nd Egypt 1801.jpg (110.1 KB)

Visible in preview. Now clicking 'Submit'
    Inshallah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast