X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: 13,000

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Scottish Register of Tartans now has over 13,000 patterns. Here is #13,000
    https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/ta...ails?ref=13000
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Balaamsass51 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm sure there's a large number that aren't listed.

So many Pipe Bands create their own tartans nowadays, but I don't think many of them bother to list them.

Turns out that the tartan worn by the band I play in wasn't listed when it was created several years ago.

Back in February, at the last Highland Games I attended before everything got shut down, I saw a sample book of House Of Edgar's "Hebridean Range" of fashion tartans. https://www.houseofedgar.com/product...lts-hebridean/

I picked one of the "Hebridean Range" tartans (Fearthainn) more or less at random and searched SRT and there wasn't a match.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th December 20 at 11:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Balaamsass51;1389270]The Scottish Register of Tartans now has over 13,000 patterns. Here is #13,000
    https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/ta...ails?ref=13000[/QUOTE

Oh no it hasn't, they started their count at 7000! Add in some starter patterns and that number rises to about 8500.

The STA database is the larger and has just over 10600 entries.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O C Richard - Yes, there are many patterns not registered.
    figheadair - So you are saying the Scottish Register of Tartans are lying?

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balaamsass51 View Post
    figheadair - So you are saying the Scottish Register of Tartans are lying?
    I did not say that, simply that they started their numbering at a certain point (to avoid confusion with existing databases, such as that maintianed by the STA.

To be clear, the Register does not claim to have 13000 tartans on record. As at 30 Oct 20 the total number of tartans included on the Register was 8544, including legacy tartans.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. So the Scottish Register of Tartans says they have 13,000+ tartans. (they get 10 or so new ones every week on average) When they started back in 2009 they used the lists from the Scottish Tartans Society, the Scottish Tartans Authority, and the Scottish Tartans World Register. These, as you say figheadair, are usually said to be around 7000 since the 3 prior lists had to be combined which was not an easy thing to do because each prior list used different criteria. Then the Scottish Register of Tartans began their numbering system at 10,000.

My current search on the SRT has the numbers from 1 to 6,276 for the tartans gotten from the 3 original lists. Then there is a gap of 3,724 numbers until they restart at 10,000. So they have added 3,000 tartans since then. Which would be 6,276 + 3000 = 9,276. (as of this week).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balaamsass51 View Post
    OK. So the Scottish Register of Tartans says they have 13,000+ tartans. (they get 10 or so new ones every week on average) When they started back in 2009 they used the lists from the Scottish Tartans Society, the Scottish Tartans Authority, and the Scottish Tartans World Register. These, as you say figheadair, are usually said to be around 7000 since the 3 prior lists had to be combined which was not an easy thing to do because each prior list used different criteria. Then the Scottish Register of Tartans began their numbering system at 10,000.

My current search on the SRT has the numbers from 1 to 6,276 for the tartans gotten from the 3 original lists. Then there is a gap of 3,724 numbers until they restart at 10,000. So they have added 3,000 tartans since then. Which would be 6,276 + 3000 = 9,276. (as of this week).
    I sit on the Advisory Panel for the Register and see their official stats (quoted earlier). I also manage the STA Master (Offline) Db and so can speak authoritatively about their number.

Your 6,276 figure assumes all entries were contiguous, they were not. There were gaps in the pre-Register numbering (something that still happens with the Register) and some have subsequently been removed is the total number is not the total number of entries.

Number of tartans registered between Feb 09 to Nov 20 = 2960. Some older patterns were added in and numerous errors and duplications were removed. In the case of removals, the number is 'gapped' and not reused - ergo the maths is not simple.
    Last edited by figheadair; 10th December 20 at 09:49 AM.

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever way one looks at it, even several thousand is a gob of unique tartans, each with its own precise thread design.