X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: UT Kilts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UT Kilts

Just got my MacQueen tartan from UT kilts, and had to drop them a brag. For the price I paid, I really wasn't expecting much in the way of workmanship. I was pleasantly surprised! Not only does it seem well made, but if you saw the accessory thread, I was looking for flashes. They included flashes free of charge! Couldn't be happier, from something that I was told was a "pub kilt".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    Just got my MacQueen tartan from UT kilts, and had to drop them a brag. For the price I paid, I really wasn't expecting much in the way of workmanship. I was pleasantly surprised! Not only does it seem well made, but if you saw the accessory thread, I was looking for flashes. They included flashes free of charge! Couldn't be happier, from something that I was told was a "pub kilt".
    could we see some pictures of it?
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also love to see some pictures, especially close-up photos of the wool fabric. Was it a special order?

People do seem to love Brice's customer service, and the kilts do seem to be pretty good for the money.

I appreciate that they're relatively honest about what their kilts are made of, which is a rare thing in that price range. Here's a great article explaining the difference between worsted wool (which is used in traditional Scottish tartan) and woolen wool, which is what Brice's suppliers use.

I do think that they could step up and be a bit more transparent about their kilts being made in Pakistan. Especially now that they're selling some Scottish-made goods, transparency on their part will would help to avoid confusion on the part of the consumer.

For example, their "Made in Scotland" section contains items which are claimed to be "woven in Scotland," but the country of manufacture is not listed. Presumably, they're buying fabric from Scottish mills then sending them to Pakistan to be constructed. It's the little things like this which prevent me from ordering from certain companies.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 16th December 20 at 12:49 PM.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have noticed that Brice Lythgow used to be a member here. At one time he was among the advertisers.

But -
    Bryce had his advertising pulled and his membership revoked on the 3rd of Feb. 2014 for repeated rules violations and there were proven cases of copyright infringement of others designs.
    When he was questioned on these issues he became abusive and disrespectful to me via PM and to other members on the public forum.
    Since his membership was revoked, some have contacted me and sent copies of emails they received, where Bryce continues to voice his disrespect for X Marks.

All X Marks has ever asked of a member is that they treat other members in a respectful manner.
    All X Marks has ever asked of those who choose to advertise here is that they do so on an even playing field with the other advertisers and treat the other advertisers and their own customers with respect and honesty.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    You may have noticed that Brice Lythgow used to be a member here. At one time he was among the advertisers.

But -
    Bryce had his advertising pulled and his membership revoked on the 3rd of Feb. 2014 for repeated rules violations and there were proven cases of copyright infringement of others designs.
    When he was questioned on these issues he became abusive and disrespectful to me via PM and to other members on the public forum.
    Since his membership was revoked, some have contacted me and sent copies of emails they received, where Bryce continues to voice his disrespect for X Marks.

All X Marks has ever asked of a member is that they treat other members in a respectful manner.
    All X Marks has ever asked of those who choose to advertise here is that they do so on an even playing field with the other advertisers and treat the other advertisers and their own customers with respect and honesty.
    I was unaware of the history. I am not affiliated with UT Kilts in any way. I got a good product, and wanted to give them a plug. It was so good, it far exceeded my expectations, and thought the information may be useful to others.

As for pics, when it's back from the drycleaners, I'll try to figure out how to post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I'd also love to see some pictures, especially close-up photos of the wool fabric. Was it a special order?

People do seem to love Brice's customer service, and the kilts do seem to be pretty good for the money.

I appreciate that they're relatively honest about what their kilts are made of, which is a rare thing in that price range. Here's a great article explaining the difference between worsted wool (which is used in traditional Scottish tartan) and woolen wool, which is what Brice's suppliers use.

I do think that they could step up and be a bit more transparent about their kilts being made in Pakistan. Especially now that they're selling some Scottish-made goods, transparency on their part will would help to avoid confusion on the part of the consumer.

For example, their "Made in Scotland" section contains items which are claimed to be "woven in Scotland," but the country of manufacture is not listed. Presumably, they're buying fabric from Scottish mills then sending them to Pakistan to be constructed. It's the little things like this which prevent me from ordering from certain companies.
    It seems comparable to the one I got from Atlanta Kilts. I hear what your saying about manufacturing in one place, but doing another. But automakers do plenty of that too, it's not that big of a deal to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done business with Bruce and have been happy with what I bought. I bought a coyote skin sporran with a leather cantle that I love. I also bought flashes which are very good for the money. I've bought other items. I always thought the price was reasonable and dealing Brice were always positive.

I am aware of his problems with X Marks the Scot. Maybe he has reformed or maybe he's a better business man than he is at being a member of our community. Hard to say!