X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show your bespoke pieces!

Although, one can look very smart wearing vintage pieces acquired inexpensively on sites like ebay and gumtree, sometimes you want something one of a kind, hand made for you, that you can pass down in your family. While many people have bespoke kilts, I'd love to see other items you had custom made. What made you want those features and what makes the item special to you. I'll start with some pics of some of my favourite bespoke items. I'd love to see yours, too!

I recently posted a thread about my new PC and waistcoat. Here they are worn with the kilt and with my MacDonald of Clanranald modern tartan trews.

This tweed jacket was bespoke for someone else. I found it online and had it tailored to fit me better. The sporran was a bespoke commission bag from Artificer on an MOD cantle.
    The hose and garter ties were bespoke commissions done by Phillip Wright in Nova Scotia.

The hose I'm wearing in this photo were hand knit as a gift to my by the mother of a friend of mine in Nova Scotia.

The velvet waistcoat I'm wearing in this photo was made bespoke for me by The Scottish Company in Toronto, ON. The tartan hose were commissioned to my specifications through John at Keltoi,
    but I believe they were made by D&D in Scotland.

The versatile tartan waistcoat I'm wearing in these photos was hand sewn by Jackie Murray of Toronto, now Lexington, KY. The buttons can be swapped.

(In this photo, my bonnet, sporran and hose are also bespoke. Glen's (aka McMurdo) handsome wildcat tartan suit is obviously bespoke as well)

(Here with a bespoke doublet I've since sold. The sporran is partially bespoke as I replaced the fur and tassels on an existing one for a more unique look)

I made the sgian dubh depicted in the photo next to my artificer sporran, so that's kind of bespoke as well.
    Last edited by Nathan; 3rd January 21 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post: