X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Yule!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grizzbass.

I am afraid religion and the history of the various aspects of it are of little interest to me. Interestingly, rightly or wrongly, I tend to connect Druids to Stonehenge in Southern England and parts of Wales, but connecting them to Scotland is, I am afraid, well beyond my ken.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Grizzbass.

I am afraid religion and the history of the various aspects of it are of little interest to me. Interestingly, rightly or wrongly, I tend to connect Druids to Stonehenge in Southern England and parts of Wales, but connecting them to Scotland is, I am afraid, well beyond my ken.
    Stonehenge is much, much older and it was finished about 1700 years before there were Celts and Druids in Britain. Stonehenge was as old to the Druids as Hadrian's Wall is to us.

The Gaelic Scots didn't get to Scotland until after the Romans had left (they invaded from Ireland and "Scoti" was the Roman name for the Irish). Caledonia was inhabited by Briton tribes related to the Welsh. That is where the Picts likely were. They were tough guys and the Romans were eventually handed their adzes to them by those tribes. The Gaels don't seem to have pushed them out but rather they slowly merged with each other to create the modern Scotus Horribilus Kiltii.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for that.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    Stonehenge is much, much older and it was finished about 1700 years before there were Celts and Druids in Britain. Stonehenge was as old to the Druids as Hadrian's Wall is to us.

The Gaelic Scots didn't get to Scotland until after the Romans had left (they invaded from Ireland and "Scoti" was the Roman name for the Irish). Caledonia was inhabited by Briton tribes related to the Welsh. That is where the Picts likely were. They were tough guys and the Romans were eventually handed their adzes to them by those tribes. The Gaels don't seem to have pushed them out but rather they slowly merged with each other to create the modern Scotus Horribilus Kiltii.
    And before that there was this

http://factsanddetails.com/world/cat...ntry-6014.html

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jfraser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend a visit to Orkney to anyone who is interested in wildlife, farming and history. You are unlikely to see many kilts about though, I saw one in two weeks whilst we were there, worn by a Norwegian.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The year has definitely turned - after months of insomnia and anxiety, last night I went to bed early and slept until noon today - I do not deliberately mark the turning of the year and the changing of the seasons, it is just that they seem to mark me.

So on the first day of the new year, astronomically - Veis heil, or wassail, or go well - or however you express it.

Astrologically, the conjunction of the two great planets moves us out of an Age of Earth into an Age of Air - odd how something defined centuries ago can suddenly seem relevant in a way which ten years earlier seemed to be insignificant. So here I am sending my best wishes over the ether to wherever on the globe you happen to be, and may this next year be less interesting for all of the right reasons.

Anne the Pleater.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    The year has definitely turned - after months of insomnia and anxiety, last night I went to bed early and slept until noon today - I do not deliberately mark the turning of the year and the changing of the seasons, it is just that they seem to mark me.

So on the first day of the new year, astronomically - Veis heil, or wassail, or go well - or however you express it.

Astrologically, the conjunction of the two great planets moves us out of an Age of Earth into an Age of Air - odd how something defined centuries ago can suddenly seem relevant in a way which ten years earlier seemed to be insignificant. So here I am sending my best wishes over the ether to wherever on the globe you happen to be, and may this next year be less interesting for all of the right reasons.

Anne the Pleater.
    Here is hoping that 2020 is not repleated.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned something new yesterday from Lucy Worsley of the BBC. The well known Christmas Carol "O Come All Ye Faithful" appears to be a Jacobite call to arms. Who'd have though?

https://www.dur.ac.uk/news/newsitem/?itemno=7328

Anyway, I've done my military service and I have enough kinsman buried in Culloden's field, so I shall give it a pass this year.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12