X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage Clan Badge

This year for Christmas I was given many really wonderful gifts one that was kilt related was a vintage Graham Clan Bucker in Sterling Silver that is from the 1920's. I will of course keep it for very special occasions however I did have to try it on this morning after opening my presents. To say I am happy with it would be an understatement. I have prided myself in collecting quality pieces for my wardrobe that will stand the test of time and this wee badge continues in that vein. I see myself as a custodian of these pieces rather than an owner of them. Simply I am part of the history of the item. Here are a couple of photos.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's beautiful!

What do the hallmarks say? I'm very curious as to the maker.

Is it 40mm across side to side?

The timing of your posting this happens to coincide with my recently doing a bit of looking into the various firms currently or recently making Clan cap badges.

The same moulds seem to be taken up by new firms as old firms go by the wayside, and your badge appears to be an example of that.

Carrick Jewellery, from what I read, was established in 1971. They came out out Clan crest items including cap badges in two sizes, a large 50mm (across) badge for Glengarries and a medium 40mm (across) badge for Balmorals.

I've wondered why the two sizes used a different design of strap & buckle. Now I think I know: the 40mm size was made from moulds acquired from an earlier firm.

The similarity is unmistakable, I'm holding a 40mm Carrick badge in my hand and it's exactly like your badge. The question is what the earlier firm was.

Here are several Clan badges by four makers. Lower left is the medium Carrick badge which we now know was derived from earlier moulds.

(Upper left and centre show a recent example of the same process.)

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, I have not measured it and it's late here so I'll be sure to do that and get back to you. Here is the listing not sure it will help you

https://houseoflabhran.com/vintage-a...e-bonnet-badge

Here is a photo of the back I've not polished it or anything but I do not see any marks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guessed it this is 40mm across.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful strap and buckle badge!

Looks marvelous, my friend. Another prize for your collection.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a vintage MacDonald clan buckle but I haven’t had any luck finding a vintage Clanranald one yet.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to GlenaladalePiper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's certainly a lovely badge.

I wonder if you could clarify your use of the term "Buckler"? Generally the badges are referred to as "Clan Crest Badges" although that, according to the Court of the Lord Lyon, is a misnomer, there being no such thing as a Clan Crest.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    That's certainly a lovely badge.

I wonder if you could clarify your use of the term "Buckler"? Generally the badges are referred to as "Clan Crest Badges" although that, according to the Court of the Lord Lyon, is a misnomer, there being no such thing as a Clan Crest.
    The belt around the crest is called a buckler.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago we discussed the issue of - does the end of the strap go under or over.

We were told by the Lord Lyon at that time that the end of the strap tucked under, was the symbol of "The Order of the Garter", and would not be correct for a Clan badge.
    He told us the end is on top for Clan badges.

And a little behind the scenes. The badges sold by Gaelic themes were designed by one of our members who was the artist for the Court of the Lord Lyon and are the only designs fully recognized by the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs. The strap and buckle are the symbol of a Clansman. A Clansman shows his fealty to the Chief by wearing the strap and buckle with The Chiefs Crest inside the strap. The Chief owns this crest as it is the crest from their Coat of Arms, so you can understand that they are a bit picky about getting their crest right.

While often copied, Gaelic Themes hold the copyright on this Lord Lyon approved design.

The X Marks badge was produced by Gaelic Themes with their permission. It is larger than most at 58mm.

And some more behind the scenes -
    If you see a badge without the buckle, just a circle, it denotes an Armiger. One who has been granted Arms by the Lord Lyon. This badge would be worn with a single eagle feather.

Two eagle feathers denote a head of major branch of a Clan and are worn behind the circle denoting granted Arms.
    Three eagle feathers denote a Clan Chief. It is one requirement of a Chief that they have been granted Arms for at least 10 years, so a Chief would also wear the circle without buckle.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    A few years ago we discussed the issue of - does the end of the strap go under or over.

We were told by the Lord Lyon at that time that the end of the strap tucked under, was the symbol of "The Order of the Garter", and would not be correct for a Clan badge.
    He told us the end is on top for Clan badges.

And a little behind the scenes. The badges sold by Gaelic themes were designed by one of our members who was the artist for the Court of the Lord Lyon and are the only designs fully recognized by the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs. The strap and buckle are the symbol of a Clansman. A Clansman shows his fealty to the Chief by wearing the strap and buckle with The Chiefs Crest inside the strap. The Chief owns this crest as it is the crest from their Coat of Arms, so you can understand that they are a bit picky about getting their crest right.

While often copied, Gaelic Themes hold the copyright on this Lord Lyon approved design.

The X Marks badge was produced by Gaelic Themes with their permission. It is larger than most at 58mm.

That's interesting as the illustration of the Clansmen's / Clanswomen's badge in Lyon Court Information Leaflet No.2 shows the strap tucked.
    http://www.scotarmigers.net/pdfs/info-leaflet-2.pdf
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 31st December 20 at 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast