X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    What I find most surprising is the fact that there is no defined way to arrange the strap and buckle . Having checked with Lyon Court they commented that the way in which the strap is folded is merely stylistic rather than anything else. So, the strap folding over or under is equally correct.
    This is what looks right to me, simply because that's how I'm used to seeing the old waistbelts worn.

All the elements are there: buckle, chape, grommets.

You pass the end of the belt down & behind the belt, then over & through the loop, so there's less of the end to be dangling loose.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th December 20 at 07:52 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    They don't actually sell three. They sell their own and the large Carrick badges. Here is the link.

https://stkildastore.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgIwoPD_BwE
    Ah, I see the Gaelic Themes and large (50mm) Carrick recast badges here

https://stkildastore.com/Clan-Items/Clan-Badges

The Carrick badges made when Carrick was still in business were Rhodium plated, you can still find "new old stock" Carrick badges being sold by a number of places.

The St Kilda Group Carrick recasts are pewter.

What I wonder about are the "Images Of Scotland" recast Carrick pewter badges. I had read somewhere that "Images Of Scotland" was part of the St Kilda Group.

That would mean that St Kilda Group offers three lines of Clan crest bonnet badges

1) St Kilda Group original designs in pewter sold under the "Gaelic Themes" name
    2) Carrick recasts in pewter sold under the "Carrick" name
    3) Carrick recasts in pewter sold under the "Images Of Scotland" name.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th December 20 at 08:34 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another to add to your comparisons if I've got the image upload process correct - vintage (and well-worn), no markings on the rear of the badge at all. An old Morrison badge, also used by the Lewis pipe band I believe. 35mm wide, a little over 40mm high.

IMG_2280.jpg

Regards, EEM
    "Humanity is an aspiration, not a fact of everyday life."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard this is another of my Clan Bucklers I got this on Ebay but was not able to find the old listing. Posting as it looks a bit different than the examples you have shown.

Last edited by McMurdo; 28th December 20 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Richard this is another of my Clan Bucklers I got this on Ebay but was not able to find the old listing. Posting as it looks a bit different than the examples you have shown.
    I like that one, Glenn. It's very distinct (as is your photo).
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, any markings on the back? What width is it? It looks very large, I think my bonnet ribbon is 65mm which would make a badge akin to the military Glengarry and Feather Bonnet badges.

The round buckle is something new to me, I believe.

Thanks!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th December 20 at 09:23 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micrographia View Post
    Another to add to your comparisons if I've got the image upload process correct - vintage (and well-worn), no markings on the rear of the badge at all. An old Morrison badge, also used by the Lewis pipe band I believe. 35mm wide, a little over 40mm high.
    Thanks! I will add that to my photo collection. 35mm is interesting, being a tad smaller than the usual bonnet badge size.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th December 20 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Tobus this badge is very interesting.

If I may ask, what is the width of that badge?

So I just Googled "clan badges" and saw a large number of badges offered, all of them derived from one of the firms I show above except Tobus' badge which I did find

https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...oducts_id=1290

They don't say who makes those.
    That one measures 1.75 inches, or about 45mm. I see no identifying marks on it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, any markings on the back? What width is it? It looks very large, I think my bonnet ribbon is 65mm which would make a badge akin to the military Glengarry and Feather Bonnet badges.

The round buckle is something new to me, I believe.

Thanks!
    Richard, this measures 1.75 inches, or about 45mm, no marks on the back but here is a photo of the back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A recent curious purchase made me take a look at the various Clan Crest bonnet badges which I'm seeing for sale currently. Some are by still-current makers, some are "new old stock".

<deleted stuff>

Recently I saw this line of badges by a firm new to me and I bought one. The card says Images Of Scotland. Googling didn't come up with anything that seemed to be connected to badge-making, except one reference that suggested that Images Of Scotland might be owned by St Kilda Group.

Well Lo And Behold when the new badge was compared to a vintage Carrick large (50mm) badge it was obvious that they had come from the same moulds. Note that the Images Of Scotland badge appears to be pewter while the Carrick badge appears to be Rhodium plated.

OC Richard, where did you find the Images of Scotland clan badge? It is much nicer that the others and looks cleaner.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast