X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too late!

I've already purchased a pair from USA Kilts. And while I would not generally wear them for taking a dip, I did enjoy wearing them on Christmas Day. I don't imagine I'll wear them on a regular basis with my kilt, but nice to have them for more formal occasions to come (God willing).

;-)

Best wishes to you,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    PSSssst, a quiet word in your ear if I may? Many experienced kilt wearers do not wear Ghillie Brogues(even when taking a dip!), they tend to wear ordinary lace up shoes. Of course, its your choice but ----------.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSSssst, a quiet word in your ear if I may? Many experienced kilt wearers do not wear Ghillie Brogues(even when taking a dip!), they tend to wear ordinary lace up shoes. Of course, its your choice but ----------.
    Ghillie Brogues drain. Oxfords stay squishy!
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    Ghillie Brogues drain. Oxfords stay squishy!
    True!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    I've already purchased a pair from USA Kilts. And while I would not generally wear them for taking a dip, I did enjoy wearing them on Christmas Day. I don't imagine I'll wear them on a regular basis with my kilt, but nice to have them for more formal occasions to come (God willing).

;-)

Best wishes to you,
    Kevin
    Well its your choice, but many choose a pair of well polished slim soled ordinary black/brown brogues for normal daywear, or plain well polished black oxfords for more formal events. If it helps you, I have never owned, or felt the need for a pair ghilles in nearly four score years of kilt wearing and many think along these lines. If nothing else, normal black oxfords/brogues are far more versatile.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days, Ghillies will be forced to wear Elf and Safety Approved footwear on the job ... nothing so practical as Ghillie Brogues'

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days, Ghillies will be forced to wear Elf and Safety Approved footwear on the job ... nothing so practical as Ghillie Brogues'
    I can think of a very short and to the point reply from any Ghillie that I know-----and I know more than a few-------if they were to be asked to wear ghillie shoes on the job! The second word would be .... "OFF!" I will leave it to your imagination on what the first word might be!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Neighbor! How do you like it when that Hawk Wind blows so cold?
    Sadly we don't see many, outside of Highland Games or Pipe Bands, that wear kilts in our area... at least that I have experienced. We'll have to do a meet up of everyone at the next Highland Games or something!

Many (Most) of us have become addicted to collecting. I currently regularly wear two, have a third I'm going to try rebuilding, and at least a couple more professional made ones I'm eyeing down the line. I think our record holder is our brother Hamish in England. 100+ kilts, and pant-less for years! I have been wearing a kilt when I have left the house every day for the past 6 weeks, as I needed to make up for not being able to wear it at work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see someone from my neck of the woods on here!

I'm hoping we'll be able to have a LIVE Highland Games somewhere in this area this summer! I've also joined Chicago Scots to get more involved and hoping they'll have some events in 2021 that I can attend (and to which I will drag my wife and daughter!).

I'm sure my wife hopes I don't become addicted to all of this! But I am enjoying connecting with my heritage in this way.

Thanks for getting in touch and best wishes to you for the New Year!
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Welcome Neighbor! How do you like it when that Hawk Wind blows so cold?
    Sadly we don't see many, outside of Highland Games or Pipe Bands, that wear kilts in our area... at least that I have experienced. We'll have to do a meet up of everyone at the next Highland Games or something!

Many (Most) of us have become addicted to collecting. I currently regularly wear two, have a third I'm going to try rebuilding, and at least a couple more professional made ones I'm eyeing down the line. I think our record holder is our brother Hamish in England. 100+ kilts, and pant-less for years! I have been wearing a kilt when I have left the house every day for the past 6 weeks, as I needed to make up for not being able to wear it at work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can think of a very short and to the point reply from any Ghillie that I know-----and I know more than a few-------if they were to be asked to wear ghillie shoes on the job! The second word would be .... "OFF!" I will leave it to your imagination on what the first word might be!
    Wellies were a great invention.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wellies were a great invention.
    Well at least wellies are far far more useful than those dreadful* ghillie brogues.

Dreadful*= an adjective I coined many years ago on this website to describe ghillie brogues and has caused a certain amount of amusement in some quarters here, ever since.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th December 20 at 10:19 AM.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast