X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Tunic shirt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tunic shirt

I suspect those on the forum who sometimes have occasion to wear a doublet and jabot might have found some difficulty sourcing a decent quality tunic shirt at a reasonable price. I have had my eye on the offering from the online shirt retailer TM Lewin for a while and today their remaining sizes went on sale. I was happy to be able to pick one up in the correct combination of neck size and arm length for under £20, perhaps others here might also find their size. Double cuff, but you can't have everything

https://www.tmlewin.co.uk/shirts/whi...irt-47879.html

Regards, EEM.
    "Humanity is an aspiration, not a fact of everyday life."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks exactly like a white neckband-style clergy shirt. Good price.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was growing up this style of shirt was called a French cuff, grandfather collar dress shirt.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    When I was growing up this style of shirt was called a French cuff, grandfather collar dress shirt.
    I have four of them hanging in my closet. Attach clerical collar front and back, cover with either a clergy vest or cassock and voila! (Or viola if you're musically inclined.) Wearing it with a kilt or trousers rather than just the top makes it even more suitable than by itself.

Shoes and socks too.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I can well understand our grandfathers relief at being able to remove their studs and collar, unbutton their waistcoat and relax in a chair with their feet up at the end of a long day .

Still part of legal wear by barristers and the like in the UK - and without a collar under a doublet by those kilted weirdos .

Regards, EEM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micrographia View Post
    I can well understand our grandfathers relief at being able to remove their studs and collar, unbutton their waistcoat and relax in a chair with their feet up at the end of a long day .

Still part of legal wear by barristers and the like in the UK - and without a collar under a doublet by those kilted weirdos .

Regards, EEM
    I wear them quite regularly with a high nylon folded collar attached, and they're quite comfortable so long as you don't wear too small a size as so many men do. Same with those who wonder how we could possibly wear a tie all the time. When I taught and administered schools, I wore a tie daily for 33 years and was never uncomfortable. I just wore a large enough collar and didn't over-tighten the tie as so many do.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the first time I have heard the term "tunic shirt". Does it mean the shirt has a collar like a tunic, or that the shirt is intended to be worn with a tunic?

I looked at the shirt in the link but the photo is so washed out I can't tell how the shirt is made.

Is it like the traditional shirts with detachable collars?

From time to time "banded collar" shirts come into fashion which are like the shirt pictured, but are intended to be worn as is, without attaching a collar.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th December 20 at 09:47 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I have four of them hanging in my closet. Attach clerical collar front and back, cover with either a clergy vest or cassock and voila!
    What I've seen our Priest wear is cheating a bit I reckon- it's a black shirt with an attached black stand collar, the collar is sort of a tunnel of cloth, then there's a stiff white rectangular plasticky thing that's inserted into the tunnel, giving a little show of white in front.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th December 20 at 09:52 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    What I've seen our Priest wear is cheating a bit I reckon- it's a black shirt with an attached black stand collar, the collar is sort of a tunnel of cloth, then there's a stiff white rectangular plasticky thing that's inserted into the tunnel, giving a little show of white in front.
    Yup. I have a number of those too. They're referred to here as "tab collars". They're more comfortable, but a wee bit less dressy in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    This is the first time I have heard the term "tunic shirt". Does it mean the shirt has a collar like a tunic, or that the shirt is intended to be worn with a tunic?

I looked at the shirt in the link but the photo is so washed out I can't tell how the shirt is made.

Is it like the traditional shirts with detachable collars?

From time to time "banded collar" shirts come into fashion which are like the shirt pictured, but are intended to be worn as is, without attaching a collar.
    It arrived yesterday - it's a detachable collar shirt (with collar included but you would need to provide your own studs) in a lightweight cotton poplin, ideal for wear under a Montrose with no collar attached. Here's hoping I'll get a chance to wear it next year - tonight is not a typical Hogmanay!

Happy New Year to all, EEM.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Micrographia For This Useful Post: