X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New PC and waistcoat

I'm very happy with my new black velvet Prince Charlie Coatee and waistcoat embellished with the MacDonald of Clanranald modern tartan.

I purchased a black velvet PC and waistcoat that was originally made by Philip King in Scotland. Since I had some tartan at home, I commissioned a very talented friend of mine to replace the satin facings with tartan, to alter it to fit me better, and to make me a bias cut tartan waistcoat. She also replaced the buttons with new ones of my choosing.

Here is a pic of the ensemble with my kilt in the same tartan. I couldn't be happier with her work customizing these garments to me. This will be my preferred evening attire for the foreseeable future, I think.

Last edited by Nathan; 29th December 20 at 01:56 PM.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm . . . wow?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Umm . . . wow?
    Thanks, Father Bill!
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, not much more to add here. Very, very well done.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan, like I said before I can't wait to see this rig in person whenever that may be. Is this look for everyone? I doubt it however seeing it all togeher it looks wonderful on you and I know you are pleased with it. You really are adding some quality pieces to your wardrobe these days and this set is no exception. Here's to a Highland season where we can wear our best Black Tie rigs.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I'm a huge fan of tartan waistcoats and jackets.

With your outfit, what my eye is relentlessly drawn to is the place where the waistcoat and jacket lapels are juxtaposed.

For me there's something about the tartan lapels on the plain jacket laid over the plain lapels on the tartan waistcoat that creates a visual oscillation.

I expect that that it would be more restful for my eye if that jacket was over a plain black waistcoat, or that waistcoat was paired with a plain black jacket.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th December 20 at 08:58 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wanted both a tartan waistcoat and tartan lapels on the jacket. The other option would have been the tartan waistcoat with no lapels or a tartan waistcoat with matched lapels to the rest of the bias cut waistcoat. That would have created an odd look as the tartan lapel of the jacket wouldn’t have matched direction (or directly contrasted) with the tartan waistcoat. I thought the black lapels on the waistcoat were an elegant solution and quite like the final result, but one can never please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    First off, I'm a huge fan of tartan waistcoats and jackets.

With your outfit, what my eye is relentlessly drawn to is the place where the waistcoat and jacket lapels are juxtaposed.

For me there's something about the tartan lapels on the plain jacket laid over the plain lapels on the tartan waistcoat that creates a visual oscillation.

I expect that that it would be more restful for my eye if that jacket was over a plain black waistcoat, or that waistcoat was paired with a plain black jacket.
    Last edited by Nathan; 28th December 20 at 01:06 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see the appeal to the look that you wanted Nathan, I think there is a place for that look in the big smoke of Toronto where you have a large Scottish ancestral population. In your role with the Clan Donald society you will certainly stand out as well attired compared to those who are in rental or package outfits.
    Slainte David

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dubh View Post
    I can see the appeal to the look that you wanted Nathan, I think there is a place for that look in the big smoke of Toronto where you have a large Scottish ancestral population. In your role with the Clan Donald society you will certainly stand out as well attired compared to those who are in rental or package outfits.
    Slainte David
    I’m really impressed with the level of tailoring. I was inspired by a couple of others I saw and my friend nailed it. She’s very talented.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressive to be sure!

Congrats Nathan,

Your outfit looks splendid!
    Sharp as ever.

Stay well and have a safe and Happy New Year.

Phil

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast