X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scrunched Hose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OC Richard's post, #2, is dead on. Both looks work, but don't mix them. One picture in the post is "highland wear", the other is not.

I have three non-tartan kilts that I wear about the house and shop. They are a heavy cotton that's darn-near indestructible and have lots of pockets. It has never occurred to me to wear hose at a "traditional" height with them because I don't even think of them as "highland wear".

My MacKenzie tartan kilts, on the other hand, I do my best to look "traditional". If it gets to the point where I need to push my hose down or wear my shirt un-tucked, then it's time to change.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was following links today for custom tartan hose, and nearly spit out my coffee when I saw this (below).

Ankle-length tartan hose. Yes, they're built just like regular kilt hose with a cuff and everything. They're just ...shorter.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want this look, but here you go:

https://tartansocks.simdif.com/range-of-hose.html

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The broken shoe laces completes the look.

I guess there's a market for it....
    Tulach Ard

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I was following links today for custom tartan hose, and nearly spit out my coffee when I saw this (below).

Ankle-length tartan hose. Yes, they're built just like regular kilt hose with a cuff and everything. They're just ...shorter.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want this look, but here you go:

https://tartansocks.simdif.com/range-of-hose.html

Not a fan of those... but the stags head hose.. that has me thinking.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was following links today for custom tartan hose, and nearly spit out my coffee when I saw this.
    Wowza.

For me it's neither fish nor fowl: it doesn't work as Highland Dress, nor does it work as Utilikilt Fashion Culture.

What it does remind me of- speaking of spitting out your coffee- was the guy I saw at a Highland Games wearing hose-tops with no spats and no other visible socks:

Native American moccasins > hairy legs > hose-tops > knees.

I've mentioned this guy before. I wish I had taken a photo. One could not have come up with an outfit that mixed military and civilian Highland Dress, that mixed 18th century and Victorian and late 20th century Highland Dress, that mixed Highland Dress with non-Scottish elements, more completely if that had been the goal.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    What it does remind me of- speaking of spitting out your coffee- was the guy I saw at a Highland Games wearing hose-tops with no spats and no other visible socks...
    That doesn't surprise me. When I see bizarre outfits at festivals, I often wonder if it's just that they don't understand or if they're trying to be weirdos. More often than not, it's probably that they think a Highland Games is the place to be outlandish.

On that subject, though, I have always been dumbfounded by the fact that patterned hose are so expensive while "hose tops" aren't. The price difference, just for the addition of the foot portion, seems to be disproportionate. I have a few pairs of hose tops that I wear with spats, boots, puttees, etc., and I really like the functionality of them, but it's a shame they have to be worn with some sort of tall footwear. I just wish there were a less expensive option for full hose with patterns that can be worn with plain shoes.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't surprise me. When I see bizarre outfits at festivals, I often wonder if it's just that they don't understand or if they're trying to be weirdos. More often than not, it's probably that they think a Highland Games is the place to be outlandish.
    I totally agree... You definitely see some odd things at the Highland games. I once saw a guy wearing hose tops but going barefoot. It was a look!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I am not interested in sporting it, the hose tops on bare leg look reminds me of the "loferl" legwarmers German men sometimes wear with lederhosen: https://germangirlinamerica.com/lederhosen-socks-men/

I don't understand the point of ankle-length kilt socks, either. At that length, why not just wear the standard argyle socks that men wear with trousers, which are much cheaper and readily available in most department stores?

Some very curious foot-covering ideas.

Andrew
    Last edited by kingandrew; 22nd January 21 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, do a combo. Hose tops, scrunched down, worn over bare feet. The 1980s fashion trifecta! If you try hard enough, you might get a role as an extra in Flashdance.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dubh View Post
    I think scrunched hose depends on the setting, I’m a fairly proper guy when it comes to dressing, I f do not leave the house in track/ sweat pants unless exercising. I’m a hose up and flashes kind of guy, the exception would be Highland games weekend in warm weather with hikers on then they’re scrunched down. To me that picture looks like 2 mates that have come in from “bagging a Munro” there tired having a dram and there hose have slipped down from the hiking where you don’t want that tightness round your calves. Much like when I was a lad playing football late in the game the shin pads came out and the socks were down around the ankles, I remember watching Scotland play Yugoslavia in 74 the field was littered with shin pads.
    Anyway here’s an old painting and you’ll see the hose only come about two thirds of the way up the shin similar to Sam and Grahams hose in the picture
    Cheers David
    https://clancarrutherssociety.org/20...ommanders/amp/
    Those are not scrunched hose, the bias cut cloth hose of that period were just worn shorter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast