X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scrunched Hose

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    When I see bizarre outfits at festivals, I often wonder if it's just that they don't understand or if they're trying to be weirdos.
    I think there's a bit of both.

Part of the not understanding, which I've mentioned several times, is the widely-held notion that Highland Dress floats outside of time itself.

I have never seen men in Highland Dress at Dickens, Victorian, or American Civil War events who didn't mix period-appropriate items with 20th century items. (These same people would never dream of mixing non-Highland 19th and 20th century clothing.)

The guy I mentioned was exceptionally resourceful and successful at era-conflation. He not only combined items from a several-hundred-year timespan but also from different degrees of formality and different nationalities to boot (literally; the Native American moccasins were a brilliant touch).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th January 21 at 06:42 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123