X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lace up boots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    That said, they are very comfortable!
    Indeed! I have a pair of blue suede desert boots, possibly my comfiest shoes.

Regards, EEM.
    "Humanity is an aspiration, not a fact of everyday life."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    ...but bringing in half a ton of Texas/Inverness/Manitoba/New South Wales into the house in the tread does not go down well with the Lady of the house!
    Not a problem in Scandinavia or the Baltics - no shoes in the house, simple as that - even when visiting friends, relative and other peoples homes (whether or not you know them) you take your shoes off outdoors or in the hall. Same at work and school, outdoor shoes are left in the cloakroom and most people have indoor shoes or just wear socks or slippers.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Not a problem in Scandinavia or the Baltics - no shoes in the house, simple as that - even when visiting friends, relative and other peoples homes (whether or not you know them) you take your shoes off outdoors or in the hall. Same at work and school, outdoor shoes are left in the cloakroom and most people have indoor shoes or just wear socks or slippers.
    Wellington boots, waders, farm work boots and country sports shoes are left at the door. Everything else, unless filthy, is allowed in around here. A substantial doormat is usually provided to take the worst off the soles of the shoes too. Although, I can think of one or two houses that I have come across in my time, where keeping wellingtons on in the house might have been a better option!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Wellington boots, waders, farm work boots and country sports shoes are left at the door. Everything else, unless filthy, is allowed in around here. A substantial doormat is usually provided to take the worst off the soles of the shoes too. Although, I can think of one or two houses that I have come across in my time, where keeping wellingtons on in the house might have been a better option!
    The standard here in Texas used to be a boot scraper at the front door. My house (built in the 1920s) still has one, cast into concrete at the front steps. It works well on leather-soled cowboy boots but not so much on lugged soles, of course. A stiff bristle mat helps in that regard.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Indeed. For reference, here are the chukka boots I wear to the office several times a week. To me, they're more of a shoe than a boot. Mine are lined, and the exterior leather is just a soft oil-tanned (or similar) finish. That said, they are very comfortable! I've never worn them with a kilt, but I suppose there's no reason they wouldn't work just fine. I wouldn't call them dressy by any stretch, as they fit more in line with a moderately casual outdoorsy daywear look (especially since these have a mild lugged sole). Perhaps I shall experiment a bit with wearing them with various kilt outfits and see how I like them. I generally don't care for footwear that is loose at the top when wearing kilt hose, but we'll see.

Those are nice looking boots. Would you mind telling us what brand they are?
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Those are nice looking boots. Would you mind telling us what brand they are?
    They are Dockers "Silas" boots. I believe the colour is chocolate, which don't appear to be available on their site right now but might be found through other retailers. I got them on clearance sale several months back.

https://www.dockersshoes.com/collect...30310062948418
    Last edited by Tobus; 10th January 21 at 07:19 PM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Piping in late here but 3-quarter boots are quite in style for men these days. You should be able to find many nice 3/4 boots that are stylish and fashionable that would only accommodate your needs and compliment your attire. Any online men's shoe supplier should have plenty of selections, I know I have bought them in the recent past but not for my kilt, mainly dress and non-lace but in my search I saw many very nice lace up 3/4 boots that were very nice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123