X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lace up boots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lace up boots

I'm trying to think of what the boots are called that are medium height, lace up, kinda dressy. I saw a picture of someone wearing them for casual outdoor wear. I have ghillies, but would like another option.
    Can someone tell me what these boots are called?
    Thanks

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Randycan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the type of boot you’re thinking of?

I picked up a pair of these recently at Johnston & Murphy. They also have them in brogued wingtips and cap toes.

There are lots of companies making this type of lace-up boots these days.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post

SM
    If so, Googling 'mens leather lace up ankle boots' will bring up many options: https://www.google.com/search?q=mens...A_enAU905AU915

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's an official name for this style of boot, I don't know it. But it's sold by Samuel Windsor as a "country boot". I would describe it as an ankle boot with brogue construction. I bought this pair a couple of years ago, and they are still available in both black and tan.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to see those ankle boots (or whatever they're called) making a comeback with Highland Dress!

They were very popular in Victorian Highland Dress. Too bad we can't usually see the boots well enough to know whether or not they have the brogued detailing.

Here they are complete with full-length jacket, another common Victorian thing.

Last edited by OC Richard; 30th December 20 at 04:28 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a pair of these recently at Johnston & Murphy. They also have them in brogued wingtips and cap toes.

There are lots of companies making this type of lace-up boots these days.

Cheers,

SM
    Exactly! Thank you!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to call them "Paddock" boots.
    “It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

P.G. Wodehouse.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

----------

SM
    I know this may be an obvious point, but I don't think it will hurt to remind some of you. There are boots and then there are boots. The heavy duty style boots with the 4WD tread on them are fine for outdoor wear, but bringing in half a ton of Texas/Inverness/Manitoba/New South Wales into the house in the tread does not go down well with the Lady of the house! Yes! I have---- errr weeeellll umm---- done it--------more than once!

Joking apart, in my humble opinion thick soles like in the picture above do not work for smarter, particularly evening, events. So yes, wear your boots with the kilt, if you must, but please think about the sole the boot for the occasion you plan on going to. There are boots made with thin soles and less rustic treads for the smarter event.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 1st January 21 at 04:50 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Joking apart, in my humble opinion thick soles like in the picture above do not work for smarter, particularly evening, events. So yes, wear your boots with the kilt, if you must, but please think about the sole the boot for the occasion you plan on going to. There are boots made with thin soles and less rustic treads for the smarter event.
    Jock:

You’re certainly right about always choosing the appropriate footwear for the occasion!

While I’ve rarely worn boots with a kilt, in those few instances, it was generally at a Highland games in the San Antonio or Hill Country areas of Texas (the venues of which tend to be rocky and dusty). At these events — which invariably involve a great deal of standing — I find that the “4WD” soles are more comfortable than the thinner leather soles of some of my other boots, which would be a bit more appropriate for other events:

That said, my lace-up boots are far more likely to be worn with trousers than kilts, but even then I’m more inclined to the lugged sole variety, as I’m less likely to slip on the rain-soaked sidewalks of downtown Houston and they’re more comfortable for the 24 blocks of walking required!�� (As the attire in my office is casual, it’s not an issue.)

I’d probably steer clear of boots for any smarter kilted events, though I’m sure there are those with dressier boots who wouldn’t give it a second thought.

But yes, wearing footwear appropriate to the occasion is always a good idea!

Cheers,

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 1st January 21 at 08:01 AM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I know this may be an obvious point, but I don't think it will hurt to remind some of you. There are boots and then there are boots. The heavy duty style boots with the 4WD tread on them are fine for outdoor wear, but bringing in half a ton of Texas/Inverness/Manitoba/New South Wales into the house in the tread does not go down well with the Lady of the house! Yes! I have---- errr weeeellll umm---- done it--------more than once!

I agree that lug soles are not exactly appropriate for "dressy" occasions. For a typical Highland Games or "Celtic festival" here in the US, where it's an out-of-doors event which involves traversing grass, gravel, sand, etc., they are the best option. I have worn leather flat-bottom shoes to these events and always regretted the choice, as they just don't get any traction. No one in their right mind wants to slip and fall down in a kilt in front of thousands of people!

Boots in general, in my mind, are for daywear. Either casual daywear or just regular daywear at outside events, but not really for smart daywear.

As for tracking things indoors in the lugs, we have a strict protocol at my house where shoes are removed at the door whenever the weather is such that shoes can bring things in. I'm really starting to appreciate the custom practised elsewhere in the world where shoes are not worn in the house.

17. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast