X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burns Supper

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    As I recall, the Tavern's new owner wasn't very thrilled to have us last year. I think Jim was considering a new venue, but I haven't spoken with him since then to know if he ever found one.
    That matches my recollection. I think the Tavern is out going forward.

I'm not feeling comfortable being in a pub or restaurant right now, so I might have to abide until 2022.

If the folks who normally join us for Burns Night at the Celtic Tavern want to chime in with their city name (e.g. Stone Mountain, Kennesaw, Birmingham) I'll do a little research and see if there are likely taverns or event locations in a reasonable area. We could probably locate a spot within 12 months.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creag View Post
    That matches my recollection. I think the Tavern is out going forward.

I'm not feeling comfortable being in a pub or restaurant right now, so I might have to abide until 2022.

If the folks who normally join us for Burns Night at the Celtic Tavern want to chime in with their city name (e.g. Stone Mountain, Kennesaw, Birmingham) I'll do a little research and see if there are likely taverns or event locations in a reasonable area. We could probably locate a spot within 12 months.
    I'm in Dallas, GA!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As y'all recall, Mary Helen and I are in Norcross. Lamar is in Conyers, Jim is in Covington. The family that takes the big table is mostly around Conyers, as are most that aren't
    Xmarkers. They were students of Jim's or connected to students, so mostly live close and have been coming for years. That half or more of attendees are within twenty minutes
    of the Tavern is why it has stayed there. And too, our haggis lady lives in Conyers. It has long been known that it is a rare haggis that is eager to travel very far from home, and
    she apparently knows where they live. I've been in Atlanta since 1968 and I only know three area locations where they've been spotted and trapped: Conyers, south Atlanta near
    the Burns Cottage, and an unknown location kept secret by the Atholl Highlander pipe band. So there's that. Our Alabama folk might well prefer a somewhat closer location, but
    as many times as I have traveled to or through that fair state, I've not spotted any. You'd think there might be the occasional roadkill around, but nary a one have I seen, even
    in the mountains.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I realize there are challenges, especially around finding someone willing and able to source the right haggis and to prepare it well and properly. Jim likely knows how to get the haggis and would have some insight on how it's done.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, we are happy to travel from Alabama to Conyers or whatever other venue is chosen.
    Rebecca (Becky) Deckard
    American descendant of Irish and Scottish pioneers
    member of Daughters of the American Revolution
    member of Clan Guthrie USA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no Burns Suppers happening in the UK or Canada, this year. The Pandemic is spinning out of control and both countries are trying to keep a lid on it.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing a kilt, but that's it

Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    There are no Burns Suppers happening in the UK or Canada, this year. The Pandemic is spinning out of control and both countries are trying to keep a lid on it.
    Getting a new computer at work on Jan 25, which means I need to go to the office for the day. I am planning on wearing a kilt that day to celebrate.
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings."
    From High Flight, a poem by
    Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
    412 Squadron, RCAF

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by planemaker View Post
    Getting a new computer at work on Jan 25, which means I need to go to the office for the day. I am planning on wearing a kilt that day to celebrate.
    By the way, looking at your poem at the bottom ... my father was a pilot in RCAF 413 Squadron right around the time that it was written.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12