X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic Scottish Albums podcast

BBC Radio Scotland has a show called Classic Scottish Albums that is available as a podcast from the BBC and other providers - I subscribe through Apple. It's become something of a must-listen for Scots of a certain age interested in the stories behind the music of their younger years. Episode 38 deals with Eddi Reader Sings the Songs of Robert Burns and it's well worth half an hour of your time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0811qp7

Earlier episodes look at albums by Capercaillie and The Waterboys but they are all worth a listen even if you aren't a fan of the album being covered.

Regards, EEM
    "Humanity is an aspiration, not a fact of everyday life."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a different definition of "classic" than I was expecting (1940s and 1950s).

It seems it's UK only?

We did have our own national weekly Scottish music programme, broadcast from the University Of North Carolina, back in the 1980s.

Though touted as a Celtic music show the host and the preponderance of the music were Scottish.

Interesting that you mention Capercaillie, because it became something of a joke that no matter what the stated theme of a particular episode was (the traditional music of Ireland, Brittany, or what have you) the host would play Capercaillie!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 5th January 21 at 07:21 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    It's a different definition of "classic" than I was expecting (1940s and 1950s).

We did have our own national weekly Scottish music programme, broadcast from the University Of North Carolina, back in the 1980s.

Though touted as a Celtic music show the host and the preponderance of the music were Scottish.
    Thistle & Shamrock with Fiona Ritchie? Still available on some NPR stations. I've been a listener for years. It's not as available as it was when I first started but still out there.
    She did move the production ( and herself) to Scotland many years ago. Like many semi-obscure things, the internet had made it more available.
    https://www.thistleradio.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've definitely heard Fiona Ritchie's Thistle and Shamrock program on NPR stations in multiple cities over the years. It's often one of the grab-bag of programs running on Saturday night.

Andrew

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad it’s not available outside the UK...

I’m a big fan of The Waterboys, Big Country, Del Amitri, Trashcan Sinatras, etc. I’d love to be able to hear several of these episodes as these were some of my favorites back in my high school and college days!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post: