X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show your bespoke pieces!

Although, one can look very smart wearing vintage pieces acquired inexpensively on sites like ebay and gumtree, sometimes you want something one of a kind, hand made for you, that you can pass down in your family. While many people have bespoke kilts, I'd love to see other items you had custom made. What made you want those features and what makes the item special to you. I'll start with some pics of some of my favourite bespoke items. I'd love to see yours, too!

I recently posted a thread about my new PC and waistcoat. Here they are worn with the kilt and with my MacDonald of Clanranald modern tartan trews.

This tweed jacket was bespoke for someone else. I found it online and had it tailored to fit me better. The sporran was a bespoke commission bag from Artificer on an MOD cantle.
    The hose and garter ties were bespoke commissions done by Phillip Wright in Nova Scotia.

The hose I'm wearing in this photo were hand knit as a gift to my by the mother of a friend of mine in Nova Scotia.

The velvet waistcoat I'm wearing in this photo was made bespoke for me by The Scottish Company in Toronto, ON. The tartan hose were commissioned to my specifications through John at Keltoi,
    but I believe they were made by D&D in Scotland.

The versatile tartan waistcoat I'm wearing in these photos was hand sewn by Jackie Murray of Toronto, now Lexington, KY. The buttons can be swapped.

(In this photo, my bonnet, sporran and hose are also bespoke. Glen's (aka McMurdo) handsome wildcat tartan suit is obviously bespoke as well)

(Here with a bespoke doublet I've since sold. The sporran is partially bespoke as I replaced the fur and tassels on an existing one for a more unique look)

I made the sgian dubh depicted in the photo next to my artificer sporran, so that's kind of bespoke as well.
    Last edited by Nathan; 3rd January 21 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thing about bespoke clothing is that it's made for the individual. My son is taller than me so my bespoke jackets (and kilts or course) will not fit him. Perhaps a grandson in years to come; otherwise, they will end up being sold to someone that they fit. For that reason I prefer some older pieces, especially evening jackets because of the workmanship that it is hard to replace nowadays without mortgaging one's house.

A bespoke Tweed Jacket and Waistcoat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Archie Hume Jacket.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	39629

And another. The sporran is vintage (1896) and the kilt dates to c1925 and was remade to fit.

Name:	20200918_New Jacket.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	39630

A bespoke sporran made by a friend some 30 years ago. The tartan was dyed and woven by me, the kilt made by Bob Martin.

Name:	20150807_STA AGM_02.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	39631

4. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deleted pictures wouldn't load
    Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 3rd January 21 at 02:00 AM. Reason: pictures won't load

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely pieces, Peter. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    This thing about bespoke clothing is that it's made for the individual. My son is taller than me so my bespoke jackets (and kilts or course) will not fit him. Perhaps a grandson in years to come; otherwise, they will end up being sold to someone that they fit. For that reason I prefer some older pieces, especially evening jackets because of the workmanship that it is hard to replace nowadays without mortgaging one's house.

A bespoke Tweed Jacket and Waistcoat.

Name:	Archie Hume Jacket.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	39629

And another. The sporran is vintage (1896) and the kilt dates to c1925 and was remade to fit.

Name:	20200918_New Jacket.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	39630

A bespoke sporran made by a friend some 30 years ago. The tartan was dyed and woven by me, the kilt made by Bob Martin.

Name:	20150807_STA AGM_02.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	39631
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of my bespoke items.

First the Scottish Wildcat Kilt Suit, of course the kilt the jacket and waistcoat were all made for me to my specifications. For the jacket and waistcoat it was important to me to have a few features such as the pocket watch hole on the waistcoat and interchangeable buttons throughout. Also pictured here is my Artificer Custom Sporran which features a MoD cantle, this quickly became my go to sporran.

Another bespoke item is my Inverness Cape, this was made by a member here some years ago and it never disappoints when the weather turns cold.

I have other pieces that have been made for me, diced, argyll and solid colour hose but as Peter said there is a special place in my heart for a vintage item that works for me. Of course there are also all my hand sewn kilts which are by nature bespoke as well.

9. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant stuff. You have some gorgeous hand knit hose also.

I agree 100% about vintage pieces and certainly enjoy them. The tweed jacket I’m wearing in my original post was a vintage find and once I got the cigar and pipe tobacco smell out of it, it was marvellous.

Thanks for sharing your pics!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many wonderful things!

Sorry to say I don't have much of anything.

There are these pipes. I wanted a blend between the plain pipes with integral wood eggcup mounts (Glen style) and ornate silverwork. The wood is Cocobolo, which by the way all looks the same colour in person but differing colours when photographed, quite odd. All in all a unique set of pipes.

Clothing not so much! There is this waistcoat, made by a friend from fabric from a vintage jacket, and the Artificer sporran.

Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd January 21 at 11:46 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try again.....

If the definition of "bespoke" includes stuff we made ourselves (mostly because we can and we're cheap) then my wife and I are included. My lovely kilts are made by Barb T. from tartans I designed, but most of the other items were home-made by my wife and I.

Being a retired sailmaker, I'm no stranger to heavy duty hand sewing and also picked up a big old upholstery sewing machine a while back, so I do the custom leather work.

Name:	combo.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	39640

My wife is a fantastic seamstress and between the two of us we're pretty good pattern makers. She sews all of her tartan and tweed garments.

Name:	T6-projects.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	39641

...as well as some of mine

Name:	Harris-vests.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	39642

A few years ago I figured out a pattern for a bonnet and have made a whole bunch of them over the years. Some of the winter tweed versions are lined with polar fleece and this one is from a hunk of Ultrasuede upholstery fabric. In general, I hate making clothing, but hats are pretty quick to do.

Name:	hat-011a.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	39643

another one. Nice kilt Barb!

Name:	u3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	39644

...and a sign of the times.....

Name:	mask2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	39645

14. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my kilts are bespoke in that they are made 1-at-time, to my own personal specifications. I specified every detail.

All of my jackets are made the same.

But what I am enjoying lately is making my own hose. I pick the yarn, I decide how wide or narrow the heels are. I choose the ribbing pattern, and I measure the height of the leg and length of the foot to fit me perfectly.

I am finding the process of knitting hose to be a great outlet for creative energy.

Some may know that I have become quite involved in the Hand-Cranked Circular Sock Knitting Machine (CSM) community.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 3rd January 21 at 12:55 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

16. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely hose

All those hose are lovely, Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast