X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    All those hose are lovely, Steve.
    I have a beautiful pair of Steve's CSM hose, and love 'em!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as for hose here are some of my bespoke kilt hose. This pair is my latest. I've worn them once they are a from pattern that dates to 1847

Being worn with other period correct pieces, the jacket and waistcoat are from 1894 the sporran from 1911, the tie and cuff links are from 1900, the watch chain and fob are Victorian, the fob is from Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

These Hose tops were from Newhouse Highland and were knit for me by Matt's wife, this is Matt and I at the Scottish Tartan Museum in Franklin NC.

These Argyll hose were from D&D who are now retired, these were the last pair they made

These diced hose were made for me through the Scottish Tartan Museum in Franklin NC

There are other bespoke kilt hose in my collection mostly self coloured.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful collection

Love those Garloch Pattern hose.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    Love those Garloch Pattern hose.
    I need more of them.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So not bespoke in terms of being made specifically for me but most of my kilt pins and all bar one of my sgian dubhs are hand made. The sole exception, and my first sgian dubh, is made by Art Pewter (2nd from left) and is also hand carved, albeit maybe more "mass produced"or manufactured design than the others:

I have also made a couple of sporran chains using chainmail which I had made to my requirements, the first one is much "fatter" than a standard chain, the second one is about the same width but has wider ring in the middle of each side of the chain:

Most of my kilt hose on the other hand are bespoke. I have four pairs of hand-knit hose from Ann Stewart, although I don't think I have a photos of the most recent two (yet).

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All beautifully crafted outfits my friend. Excellent workmanship!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Although, one can look very smart wearing vintage pieces acquired inexpensively on sites like ebay and gumtree, sometimes you want something one of a kind, hand made for you, that you can pass down in your family. While many people have bespoke kilts, I'd love to see other items you had custom made. What made you want those features and what makes the item special to you. I'll start with some pics of some of my favourite bespoke items. I'd love to see yours, too!

I recently posted a thread about my new PC and waistcoat. Here they are worn with the kilt and with my MacDonald of Clanranald modern tartan trews.

This tweed jacket was bespoke for someone else. I found it online and had it tailored to fit me better. The sporran was a bespoke commission bag from Artificer on an MOD cantle.
    The hose and garter ties were bespoke commissions done by Phillip Wright in Nova Scotia.

The hose I'm wearing in this photo were hand knit as a gift to my by the mother of a friend of mine in Nova Scotia.

The velvet waistcoat I'm wearing in this photo was made bespoke for me by The Scottish Company in Toronto, ON. The tartan hose were commissioned to my specifications through John at Keltoi,
    but I believe they were made by D&D in Scotland.

The versatile tartan waistcoat I'm wearing in these photos was hand sewn by Jackie Murray of Toronto, now Lexington, KY. The buttons can be swapped.

(In this photo, my bonnet, sporran and hose are also bespoke. Glen's (aka McMurdo) handsome wildcat tartan suit is obviously bespoke as well)

(Here with a bespoke doublet I've since sold. The sporran is partially bespoke as I replaced the fur and tassels on an existing one for a more unique look)

I made the sgian dubh depicted in the photo next to my artificer sporran, so that's kind of bespoke as well.

Here are some of my bespoke items, Most jackets and waistcoats are from Campbells of Beauly as well as my Harris tweed kilt in MacLeod tartan. The hose are thistle top hose are an ebay find but were bespoke to someone by Excalibur Highland Hose in England, quite special I think.
    Finally I made all my own sporrans in this post.

14. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few bespoke items

The first photo is a bias cut Duncan tartan waistcoat and the second a bespoke jacket made for me by a seamstress friend for my wedding 7 years ago.
    The third is a bespoke sporran I made for my step son.
    Last edited by Bluescelt; 5th January 21 at 11:10 AM.

16. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Bluescelt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an exquisite sporran, well done. Love the waistcoat and jacket as well.

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I have also made a couple of sporran chains using chainmail which I had made to my requirements, the first one is much "fatter" than a standard chain, the second one is about the same width but has wider ring in the middle of each side of the chain:

Oh, jeez, I hadn't even thought about making sporran chains using chainmail patterns. Pretty sure I'm going to have to do that now - I love the look and function of a good dragonscale weave.

20. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12