X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prior to 2020, i would occasionally wear a kilt on a Saturday or Sunday, when going out for lunch, bar, or local festival of some kind. I live in an area where its not uncommon to see someone where a kilt at the local art festival, and we do have a highland games and celtic music festival. A couple weeks after being sent home in March 2020, i started wearing kilts almost daily. At the time i had 5 kilts - 2 wool, 1 PV and 2 acrylic. I have since dispatched the PV and acrylic, and now have 9 wool kilts ( 4 5yrd, and 5 8yrd ). All but one are off the shelf, the other is custom. i dont wear them every day, but 5 of 7 days certainly. I dont do dirty work in them, i am an IT mouse jockey, so i sit in my office most of the day. I think wearing them daily has also helped with my comfort going out to the store in them. I now get comments when i dont wear them. Kilts have all kinds of meaning for all kinds of people. While i have Scottish DNA, I was adopted and raised Irish. So for me its a little nod to my roots, but mostly its fun. I have gotten to meet and chat with a lot of people, less so in 2020, but i also go out less.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I have worn the kilt frequently in both the USA and China. I have uniformly found that people are curious and friendly and their comments are positive.

I can also say that nothing will get you more attention from women than wearing a kilt. I am 52, but women of all ages approach me with provocative comments and big smiles when I am kilted. Unfortunately, I did not own a kilt until after I was married, so I did not have the opportunity to enjoy this feature when it would have made the most difference for me. But my wife certainly likes it, too.

So go forth kilted and enjoy the results!

Andrew
    Yes, I have to say that the absolute best advantage of wearing the kilt is just how much joy it brings my Ladyfriend.

She beams with pride that I am with her when I get attention from other ladies.

Makes me feel a bit like arm candy for her, but I appreciate her appreciation... LOL

John L>
    John A. Latimer: USAF veteran, Father of five, Hospital worker

Just Enjoying Life... :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out and about today...

Frequented a local hardware store in my small town. Perhaps a bit more comfortable wearing the kilt around town...

John L>

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hologenicman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hologenicman View Post

Frequented a local hardware store...
    Wasn't it Utilikilt that made a Carpenter's Kilt? It had a loop for a hammer/nail gun and things like that.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanthetraveller View Post

As for walking around your own village, go give it a try and just remember that it is your choice what you wear. I find people respect your individuality and if they do not, why worry.

Just one word of advice: be casual. No dress jackets, fancy hats, furry sporrans, badges, knives, or other stuff.

Remember the kilt is enough. Keep it simple.

And one other piece of advice: smile. If you do that people will smile back...
    Super advice!

I find here (California) wearing Highland Dress doesn't get as much attention as one might think. Like many other places, we're multicultural and seeing people from India in their traditional dress, for example, is common.

People smile. They might say "nice kilt!"

Being a piper, I'm usually kilted because I'm at a venue I'm performing at.

When I'm walking around with my pipes or my pipe case in my hand it's obvious what I'm up to.

Sometimes on my way to or from an event I'll stop for coffee or summat, no pipes, and people might say "where are your bagpipes?" and I'll say "there in my car". (They assume kilts=bagpipes which in my case is true.)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Wasn't it Utilikilt that made a Carpenter's Kilt? It had a loop for a hammer/nail gun and things like that.
    I do believe you are correct.

The Angry Bastard Warhorse that I have on order has hammer loops on the pocket as well...

John L>

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out and about today...

Frequented a local hardware store in my small town. Perhaps a bit more comfortable wearing the kilt around town...

John L>
    Good, once you wear it locally often enough, people will start commenting when you don't wear it. I know my experience is in the UK, but most places in England, a kilt siting is definitely a once in a blue moon occasion and very few make any comment at all or if they do, my hearing isn't up to catching it!
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a chanter...

I got a utility kilt which lends itself to everyday wear but it still is a new adventure.

I also got a chanter and lesson book or two. Of all the instruments that I have ever played, i find the chanter to be the most challenging. Using grace notes to mark time, delineate notes, and give emphasis is entirely foreign to me. It is a great challenge and I love it!
    If you are really interested in the bagpipes, please do yourself a favor and get an instructor. I know you will get many good recommendations here if you ask. Good luck!

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jumary For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jumary View Post
    If you are really interested in the bagpipes, please do yourself a favor and get an instructor. I know you will get many good recommendations here if you ask. Good luck!
    I live out in the sticks as they say, and not near many resources. So far, I am working with youtube videos and instruction books.

I have figures out that I need to spend more time really listening to bagpipe music for technique...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123