X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gordon Highlanders PM sgian

Just saw this photo for sale on Ebay.

As you can see it's a Pipe Major of the Gordon Highlanders wearing the white cotton coatee.

Very nice presentation full silver pipes!

He's wearing the tall 10-button spats.

What I find especially interesting is his sgian. As best I can remember I've seen Gordons PMs wear the officers' pattern sgian with the ornate top and no badge. This sgian appears to have the sporran badge.

Here's a badge similar to the one seen on the sgian above, mounted on a Gordon Highlanders pipers' sporran.

Here's a piper of the Gordons in similar dress; note the officer style 3D cap badge

For comparison here's a Gordon Highlanders PM from the 1960s, note the lack of shells.

And the very last Pipe Major of the Gordons, with shells. Note the sphinx attached to the crossbelt buckle opening.

Last edited by OC Richard; 5th January 21 at 04:52 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Just saw this photo for sale on Ebay.

As you can see it's a Pipe Major of the Gordon Highlanders wearing the white cotton coatee.

What I find especially interesting is his sgian. As best I can remember I've seen Gordons PMs wear the officers' pattern sgian with the ornate top and no badge. This sgian appears to have the sporran badge.
    Dear OC Richard, thanks you for this photo, new to me.
    to be correct, the PM wears white wool undress drill / shell jacket, not a linen coatee.

https://www.militariazone.com/jacket...9#.X_1rr-gzY2w

And I absolutely agree with You, the PMs were free to wear some not standard uniform elements, sometimes very fascinating pieces of art, like unique sporrans, dirks and sgians.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwatch70 View Post
    To be correct, the PM wears white wool undress drill / shell jacket, not a linen coatee.

https://www.militariazone.com/jacket...9#.X_1rr-gzY2w
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know those were wool!

Back around 1980 I played in a band that wore ex-army white drill coatees. So when I see old photos of the white short jackets I've always assumed it was those.

It's a much cooler, yet smart, form of dress.

BTW I found another photo showing a PM sgian with what appears to be that same badge on it, though this sgian has the full Gordon Highlanders top.

Last edited by OC Richard; 19th January 21 at 05:55 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

BTW I found another photo showing a PM sgian with what appears to be that same badge on it, though this sgian has the full Gordon Highlanders top.

it's interesting that this PM wears officers (not PMs) sporran, not pipers hoses, Gordon's Highlanders waistcoat with QoHLDRS mess jacket!?
    I see such strange uniform combination for the first time!