X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-metal Accessories

I like to wear my kilt randomly to work. Problem is, if I don't wear a belt, I feel "naked"; but the belt invariably has a bunch of metal in it... and I have to pass through metal detectors as a regular part of my "moving around" at work. I had looked around for a long time for alternate fasteners that have a similar look, feel and function as a common 2" leather kilt belt, but couldn't find a thing that was useable. Long story short, I ended up designing and printing one out of PLA and replaced all the hardware from an old leather kilt belt. Tested it out today along with a kilt with Velcro fasteners and I passed through without a hitch... of course I put my sporran through the x-ray and I also have some DIY garters for my hose, but it was great.

All that made me think, why haven't I seen something like this on the market? have I missed it somewhere? I would have paid good money for something like that. oh well.. just thought I'd share my experience and let others know that it can be aa actual thing to not have to take off your belt for a metal detector. here's Pics.. I do plan on adding some bling (read: ornamentation and color) to it, but this prototype worked just fine all day and I kind'a like to look for "business casual".
    Buclke.jpg
    Last edited by Khan; 7th January 21 at 03:14 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Khan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, and nice way to think outside the box! I have never been able to get my 3D printer to make anything from PLA that could handle any force like a belt buckle.

Not many people have to deal with metal detectors every day, so I would imagine there's not a large market for plastic accessories, but you never know!

I probably would have just used a military ALICE web belt with plastic buckle. The width is great as a kilt belt. You could probably find a workaround for the toothed metal clips if they set off the metal detector.

See this post for photos of my web belt with kilts: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...70#post1375170
    Last edited by Tobus; 7th January 21 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! Mind posting that to Thingiverse or YouMagine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Very nice! Mind posting that to Thingiverse or YouMagine?
    Sure thing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4714871

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Khan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another non metallic accessory is Cold Steel's FGX Sgian Dhu
    “It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

P.G. Wodehouse.